• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The next time you’re in the northeastern states, check your cents in change. Almost none of them have mint marks. 

As a practical matter, a circulated 1974 cent is only worth face value, as federal regulations prohibit the melting of copper alloy cents.

It is extremely unusual to find a coin of any real value in circulation, but if you want to learn more about U.S. coins (such as their mintages and which ones may have collector value) and how to collect them, you should obtain a current (2025) or recent edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins, also known as the "Red Book". The current edition is available from its publisher at whitman.com. Many additional resources for new collectors are described in the following topic pinned to the top of this forum:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The fact that your cent has no mintmark means it is a 1974 (P) Lincoln Memorial cent. We use the (P) to refer to coinage that is sans mintmark as that means it was produced at the Philadelphia Mint. As stated this coin was minted in the billions and is worth its copper value in the condition it is currently in.

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2024 at 5:24 PM, Josh0427 said:

Is a 1974 penny with no mint mark worth anything?

20240504_065412.jpg

I also have one, want to know more about that. I found a solution to my work problem I was talking about. A friend of mine introduced me to a website https://academized.com/write-my-book-report where we can hire a professional writer to write for us. They provide book report, assignments, essays and other. If you also need a writer, you can also visit their website.

I also have one, want to know more about that.

Edit: Got my answer. Thank you.

Edited by JerimiahCardenas

On 5/14/2024 at 2:35 AM, JerimiahCardenas said:

I also have one, want to know more about that.

One cent coins without a mintmark were produced by the Philadelphia Mint (or occasionally the West Point Mint when it was an adjunct unit of Philadelphia). They are of no collector value.