• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have I done . is this a mule 110 obverse or am is person_too_unaware_of_social_graces
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I bought this on eBay but can't get to Illinois quick enough to get it looked at  tomorrow.  It was sold as a sacagawea 2000 P mule.the reverse is 110 degrees off. So turned to east and West 

coin7.jpg

coin5.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Looks like someone hollowed out a dollar coin and inserted a quarter. I hope you didn’t pay much, or if you did, I hope the seller accepts returns.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:24 AM, Just Bob said:

Looks like someone hollowed out a dollar coin and inserted a quarter. I hope you didn’t pay much, or if you did, I hope the seller accepts returns.

EBay will not allow me to be scanned I do not believe. 

On 5/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, Thatsaneagle said:

Scammed rather

On 5/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, Thatsaneagle said:

EBay will not allow me to be scanned I do not believe. 

What makes you think that?   The coin you have shown is not a mule, as Bob said it is simply a Sac dollar that was milled and the quarter inserted.   Maybe an attempt at a magicians coin, maybe done to deceive, that cannot be known for sure.   But what is 100% true is that you do not have an error or mule coin.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:01 AM, Thatsaneagle said:

I agree. I'm contacting ebay immedietly. Its a scammer. 

Or a seller that did not know what he was selling.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Please note that the "Coin Marketplace" forum is for offers to buy or sell coins in accordance with the guidelines posted at the top of the forum. Questions like yours are best posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

We have two old but still pertinent sayings that are applicable to your situation. One is "There is no Santa Claus in numismatics". The other is "Buy the book before the coin", which today includes checking reputable online resources.  When they have been sold at auction, genuine 2000-P dollar/quarter "mules" have sold for between $102,000 and $192,000, and the genuine pieces do not resemble the item you purchased. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-mule-w-state-25c-obverse/508061.  They have also been certified and encapsulated by major third-party grading services before being sold and aren't "loose" like this one. Having some knowledge about these pieces before purchasing a purported but obviously bogus example for what I assume was a small fraction of the market value of the genuine article would have saved you wasted time, even if not money.

Perhaps it is just as well that this piece isn't an actual rare coin, as such a piece should never be held in one's bare hands, except by its edges if necessary.

Edited by Sandon
added missing word

On 5/3/2024 at 10:01 PM, Thatsaneagle said:

I agree. I'm contacting ebay immedietly. Its a scammer. 

The seller may have been looking to scam someone, as we have not seen the other side of the story (including the ebay listing) there is no way to know if the listing was fraudulent or if you were taken by your own greed.    Ebay has rules and you should know those rules and understand what you are buying before you buy, if the seller was upfront about what he was selling and you misread or misinterpreted the ebay listing that is not a scam.

In the future you are unsure I suggest you remember one thing, there is no Santa Claus in numismatics.   If something looks too good to be true, chances are it is not.

More money than knowledge. A baaaaad combination. 

Back when this mule was discovered knock-offs were also post-mint produced.

That is probably what the OP has now.

-It will also be telling if the seller was scamming or not by the how quickly he allows and refunds the buyer without

eBay or Paypal intervention.