• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1794 flowing hair silver dollar
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2024 at 2:45 PM, Med azzy said:

Anyone can tell me if its fake 

It's fake.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your purported 1794 silver dollar is an obvious counterfeit, likely of the sort that have been mass produced in China over the past few decades.  See 1794 BB-1,B-1 $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos of a genuine example of this rare coin, of which fewer than 200 are believed to exist. All of these coins were struck from the same pair of ties, so the shapes and positions of all letters, numbers, stars and other design elements are identical on all genuine pieces. Note, just for example, the differences in the appearance of Liberty's face and hair and of the eagle on the genuine piece from the counterfeits.

Regarding your purported 1793 Chain cent, another very rare coin, please note preliminarily that (1) it is best to post one coin per topic and (2) you should not touch a coin that you believe may have collector value with your bare hands, except to hold it by its edges if you must.  This coin is also a counterfeit, also probably of recent origin, that has been darkened to look old. Compare, for example, the detail in Liberty's hair and the positioning of the date numerals and lettering with each of the known varieties at Chain and Wreath Cents (1793) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

Where and when did you obtain these "coins"?

On 5/1/2024 at 11:47 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your purported 1794 silver dollar is an obvious counterfeit, likely of the sort that have been mass produced in China over the past few decades.  See 1794 BB-1,B-1 $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos of a genuine example of this rare coin, of which fewer than 200 are believed to exist. All of these coins were struck from the same pair of ties, so the shapes and positions of all letters, numbers, stars and other design elements are identical on all genuine pieces. Note, just for example, the differences in the appearance of Liberty's face and hair and of the eagle on the genuine piece from the counterfeits.

Regarding your purported 1793 Chain cent, another very rare coin, please note preliminarily that (1) it is best to post one coin per topic and (2) you should not touch a coin that you believe may have collector value with your bare hands, except to hold it by its edges if you must.  This coin is also a counterfeit, also probably of recent origin, that has been darkened to look old. Compare, for example, the detail in Liberty's hair and the positioning of the date numerals and lettering with each of the known varieties at Chain and Wreath Cents (1793) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

Where and when did you obtain these "coins"?

These coins belong to my father he have 215 different coins he passed away recently and i want to check if these coins worth something 

On 5/1/2024 at 7:08 PM, Med azzy said:

These coins belong to my father he have 215 different coins he passed away recently and i want to check if these coins worth something 

Your coins are worth something, if they were real. Sadly, as he have been notified they are counterfeit. Really, there is one factor that really gives these coins away: The strike is too shallow. The details should be far deeper.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:15 AM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Your coins are worth something, if they were real. Sadly, as he have been notified they are counterfeit. Really, there is one factor that really gives these coins away: The strike is too shallow. The details should be far deeper.

I have old roman coins , but after these two are worthless i think all my father collection is fake 

Screenshot_20240502-002031.jpg

Screenshot_20240502-002036.jpg

Interesting coins. 

On 5/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, Med azzy said:

I have old roman coins , but after these two are worthless i think all my father collection is fake 

Hopefully not! I'm sure there are some real coins in there. See if there are any wheats. Those will probably be genuine. =)

You should really be starting a new thread for each coin. It gets confusing with more than one per post.

Posted (edited)

@Med azzy First welcome to the forum.  Please do not take offense to what I am about to say.... but we sometimes have counterfeiters trying to have us assist in improving their craft.  I am certainly not calling you are counterfeiter, but I am seeing a trend in your "coins". For this reason, I would like to ask the group not to explain "why" a coin is counterfeit, but simply give the verdict without deep explanation.  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

@The Neophyte Numismatist--Respectfully, I largely disagree with your view.  Counterfeiters have access to the same print and online resources that we do, and they can (and do) create pieces that are more deceptive than these. If they can post on this board, they can just as easily check out the Counterfeit Detection pages on the NGC website and similar resources. The best protection against counterfeits is understanding how to detect them, including knowledge of what the genuine pieces look like. Bearing this in mind, there are sometimes less obvious characteristics that I don't reveal.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 10:09 PM, Sandon said:

@The Neophyte Numismatist--Respectfully, I largely disagree with your view.  Counterfeiters have access to the same print and online resources that we do, and they can (and do) create pieces that are more deceptive than these. If they can post on this board, they can just as easily check out the Counterfeit Detection pages on the NGC website and similar resources. The best protection against counterfeits is understanding how to detect them, including knowledge of what the genuine pieces look like. Bearing this in mind, there are sometimes less obvious characteristics that I don't reveal.

Agree to disagree on this one, friend.  I am not going to reveal the "tells" for anyone who shows me two counterfeit coins in seven posts.  Again, I am not trying to say this poster is doing anything illegitimate.  But, I am much less inclined to provide specifics when I see someone toss out a couple counterfeit coins at the onset.

Everyone is entitled to proceed as they wish.  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

I understand both sides of this issue that has arisen between two members here that I respect both. And I agree with portions of both sides on the issue. I am always aware of "giving out too much info" on counterfeits is an aid to the counterfeiters, but I also think when someone comes onto this forum looking for help and who in this case has inherited coins and does not seem to be a collector him/herself, we owe it to the poster of such pieces a little better of an explanation that looks a little better than the following :

Nah. Fake. Sorry.

We are supposed to have the knowledge here and at least be able to give a reasonable explanation of the why part of why it is fake while at the same time not helping the counterfeiters improve their fake products. I usually explain things such as certain details being "off" or missing which is enough to satisfy the part of providing an answer with enough of a why and be able to back up my statement, but I also at the same time usually don't reveal everything I am seeing wrong.

While we are in discussion on this, counterfeiters also have plenty of online resources of genuine examples, and I would say their pieces are generated only as good as their budgets and equipment allow.