• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another surprising change in publications

9 posts in this topic

Coins of England & the United Kingdom, Pre-Decimal Issues 
Coins of England & the United Kingdom, Decimal Issues 
Coins of Scotland, Ireland and the Islands, including Anglo-Gallic Coins

As of 16th April 2024 Sovereign Rarities Ltd, London, UK, has acquired the above three publications from Spink & Son Ltd, who in turn acquired the publications in 1997 from B. A. Seaby Ltd.

B A Seaby had originally produced a more basic one volume catalogue dating from the late 1920s, expanding to Scottish and Irish later on.

The splitting of the decimal and pre-decimal denominations was a more recent innovation of the last decade as the modern issue era became more expansive and continues to grow under King Charles III.

The new release of the pre-decimal and decimal catalogues remains a highly anticipated annual event in the worldwide numismatic calendar, as British coins are so internationally collected in the modern era.

The acquisition by Sovereign Rarities Ltd will see the next edition for 2025 produced under their branding for the first time and Managing Director Ian Goldbart commented:

‘We are delighted to have acquired the three titles, which we intend to continue to produce in the coming years. In one form or another, Coins of England has been issued for almost 100 years. Having first acquired a copy, when I started collecting in 1976, to this day, the book remains a staple part of my numismatic diet.'

IMG_5926.jpeg

🐓:  Hey, Q!  A public service announcement from Zebo!

Q.A.:  I see.  Only one problem.

🐓  :  What?

Q.A.  It makes note of "the modern issue era."  We got jumped by JB, VKB and the Powerhouse guy on that redrum thread's.  Now Zebo is gonna get jumped by World Colonial.  It"s too early in the morning for a rumble in the jungle.

Posted (edited)

Modern is in the eye of the beholder or possibly location. The modern sovereign is noted as those that were minted starting in 1817. When your history goes back to 1489, modern can mean something different. No rumble and no jungle. Float like a butterfly - sting like a …

Edited by Zebo

On 4/22/2024 at 11:47 AM, Zebo said:

Modern is in the eye of the beholder or possibly location. The modern sovereign is noted as those start were minted started in 1817. When your history goes back to 1489, modern can mean something different. No rumble and no jungle. Float like a butterfly - sting like a ….

Thank you Zebo, for your never-ending quest to broaden the "body of knowledge."  (thumbsu

On 4/22/2024 at 9:05 AM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  Hey, Q!  A public service announcement from Zebo!

Q.A.:  I see.  Only one problem.

🐓  :  What?

Q.A.  It makes note of "the modern issue era."  We got jumped by JB, VKB and the Powerhouse guy on that redrum thread's.  Now Zebo is gonna get jumped by World Colonial.  It"s too early in the morning for a rumble in the jungle.

When discussing British coins, modern has an obvious line of demarcation - decimalisation.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:18 PM, VKurtB said:

When discussing British coins, modern has an obvious line of demarcation - decimalisation.

Evidently, W.C., for whom I have the highest regard, irrespective of any perceived differences of opinion, didn't get that memo.  On the four-letter Set Registry [you forbid me to spell out or refer to in acronymical form] the entire French 20-Francs line (all 11, including the gold roosters) is listed under the decimalisation heading. I cannot say for sure, but I believe the respective TPGSs' refusal to allow commingling of World Gold slabs on either site stems from a dispute over how such coins are listed.  To NGC's credit, the Set Registry is ultra user-friendly breaking everything down to basics.  An analogy would be one side's use of common generic terms while the other insists on using the formal Latin (scientific) name.  Bad analogy but you get the drift.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:41 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Evidently, W.C., for whom I have the highest regard, irrespective of any perceived differences of opinion, didn't get that memo.  On the four-letter Set Registry [you forbid me to spell out or refer to in acronymical form] the entire French 20-Francs line (all 11, including the gold roosters) is listed under the decimalisation heading. I cannot say for sure, but I believe the respective TPGSs' refusal to allow commingling of World Gold slabs on either site stems from a dispute over how such coins are listed.  To NGC's credit, the Set Registry is ultra user-friendly breaking everything down to basics.  An analogy would be one side's use of common generic terms while the other insists on using the formal Latin (scientific) name.  Bad analogy but you get the drift.

...to summarize:...france is not a part of the british empire....

On 4/22/2024 at 7:26 AM, Zebo said:
  Coins of England & the United Kingdom, Pre-Decimal Issues 
Coins of England & the United Kingdom, Decimal Issues 
Coins of Scotland, Ireland and the Islands, including Anglo-Gallic Coins

As of 16th April 2024 Sovereign Rarities Ltd, London, UK, has acquired the above three publications from Spink & Son Ltd, who in turn acquired the publications in 1997 from B. A. Seaby Ltd.

B A Seaby had originally produced a more basic one volume catalogue dating from the late 1920s, expanding to Scottish and Irish later on.

The splitting of the decimal and pre-decimal denominations was a more recent innovation of the last decade as the modern issue era became more expansive and continues to grow under King Charles III.

The new release of the pre-decimal and decimal catalogues remains a highly anticipated annual event in the worldwide numismatic calendar, as British coins are so internationally collected in the modern era.

The acquisition by Sovereign Rarities Ltd will see the next edition for 2025 produced under their branding for the first time and Managing Director Ian Goldbart commented:

‘We are delighted to have acquired the three titles, which we intend to continue to produce in the coming years. In one form or another, Coins of England has been issued for almost 100 years. Having first acquired a copy, when I started collecting in 1976, to this day, the book remains a staple part of my numismatic diet.'

IMG_5926.jpeg

I normally only get these every few years, but with this crossover, I might want both the 2024 and the 2025. 

On 4/23/2024 at 4:36 PM, VKurtB said:

I normally only get these every few years, but with this crossover, I might want both the 2024 and the 2025. 

I was thinking possibly doing the same.