• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1910 Eagle with lump on eagle's head

7 posts in this topic

I am troubled by this finding perhaps more than I should be.

Why should it be the concern of a government official in the nation's capital to insert himself into a situation, the precise dimensions of which were as yet unknown, when there were staff available in Philadelphia ready, able and willing to tackle the problem head-on?  You cannot micromanage the affairs of a production line from afar. That's why effective directors delegate responsibility to trusted associates.

Under King Ed Koch's tenure in  New York City, he never answered a question from the press regarding police, correction -- or sanitation matters.  Instead, he would state, for example: "I have a police commissioner.  Allow him to brief you on the matter."

Any "damaged" coins have long since been discovered and voluntarily surrendered.  "I pledge my Life, my Fortune and my Sacred Honor on it."  (To sticklers for proper attribution, I credit the plagiarized line quote to the signers of the nation's Declaration of Independence, 1776.)

The director was a presidential appointee, and responsible for the quality and legal compliance of all coins. Any mint-produced defect, such as the lumps described, would reflect badly on national coinage, and the authenticity of coins.

On 4/18/2024 at 7:02 PM, RWB said:

The director was a presidential appointee, and responsible for the quality and legal compliance of all coins. Any mint-produced defect, such as the lumps described, would reflect badly on national coinage, and the authenticity of coins.

(worship)  Respectfully,... am I to believe no one in positions of authority was aware of the problem?  No one reported it?  No one advised the Director to inform him of the development, much less apprise him of the steps being contemplated to correct the "malmintage?" Where were the inspectors and quality-control personnel?  What about the guys servicing hubs and starched collars?

My point is:  When a problem like this lands on the Director's desk, it's too late!.  If it'd've have been me, I would relieve from further duty all persons involved immediately, and assure the Director measures have been put in place to insure there would be no repeat of this debacle emphasizing my statement with the quote, by pledging my Life, my Fortune and my Sacred Honor on it.  (worship)

Privately, on non-government memorandum or letterhead I would remind the Director that had he secured the necessary funds essential to the efficient operation of a modern mint, as requested in previous correspondence, none of this would have happened in the first place.  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

The defect was, evidently, not noticed until some of the coins made it to HQ -- possibly in routine Special Assay samples from each delivery. This had happened previously, and was the responsibility of the production mint to catch during routine inspection. As we can readily see from a long history of cracks, cuds, and clips, employees did not get them all -- and still don't.