• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 D Wheat
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I was checking out a ton of wheats I have and well I just don't know so I'm here asking.

1945 D Wheat cent.

There is a weird looking "corral" around the majority of the 9, 4 and D.

What say you.

Thanks ahead of time

CM240418-113806001.jpg

Edited by Duzzitmatter

It would be easier to answer your question with a simple full coin photo of the obv and rev not this terrible microscope shot.  doh!   But it looks like some glue or similar substance on the surface, an acetone bath would likely remove the glue.

Just something on the coin, whatever it is, it didn’t happen when the cent was struck.

Also as Coinbuf no red, do NOT use screen shots, they are too pixilated to see small detail.

On 4/18/2024 at 11:54 AM, Coinbuf said:

It would be easier to answer your question with a simple full coin photo of the obv and rev not this terrible microscope shot.  doh!   But it looks like some glue or similar substance on the surface, an acetone bath would likely remove the glue.

Whoa calm down. Breath in Breath out. It's OK man I only did best I could

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The first thing I noted from the photo was the shape and positioning of the D mintmark which led me to look at Variety Vista. It is possible it may be the 1945 D RPM-005 variety. Without clear, fully cropped photos of both sides of the coin, however, it cannot be determined from the provided photo as we are unable to check the obverse and reverse for the markers that would identify if it were to be this variety.

As for the "corral", I would also give the coin a soak in some acetone as it looks like it is some kind of glue or adhesive or other foreign substance on the surface and it would be beneficial to remove this substance. Please note to let the acetone do the work and do not use any object in an attempt to scrape the substance off. Also, do not rub the surface of the coin in an attempt to remove it. Any of these methods will surely damage the coin.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:16 PM, Duzzitmatter said:

Whoa calm down. Breath in Breath out. It's OK man I only did best I could

Sometimes you have to improve your best in order for people to be much help to you. There's this fact that we have to be able to see all of the coin clearly in order to diagnose the situation and in some cases explain the diagnosis.

We get that most people will not read the posting guidelines (why be bothered? those are for other people), but if they are then told that their photography is inadequate to a full diagnosis, they should assume that we have a reason for saying so. No one failed to be calm; someone simply told you the truth.