• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA convention pin and bars

7 posts in this topic

I wasn’t sure how much interest there would be in early ANA convention pin and bars. I put a bid in and forgot about it. Needless to say, I did not win it, but have a question about the number on the back of the medal? What is the significance of it? There are also markers marks which I find interesting.

anyone know what the number 14 on the back of the medal represents? 14th attendee? 

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg
missed my chance on this one.

Edited by Zebo

Note:  The following account, a flight of fancy which bears no relation whatsoever to the truth is presented as an ode to every man, woman and child whose contributions to the Forum were presented in good faith only to be mauled by members whose credentials appear to have been dominated unchallenged by those whose words over an interval sufficient enough to make newcomers, unschooled in independent research, accept them and repeat them as one would gospel truth, buoyed along by a practiced form of mindless herd instinct.

We are presented here with what appears, at first blush, to be a common ANA pin replete with links and bars. To the unacquainted, it appears to be genuine.  No one dares mention why the years 1912 and 1913 are unrepresented. Perhaps no conventions were held in those years; perhaps there were.  To the trained eye, the package is inauthentic. ANA pins were made, but they were not rendered in what appears to be copper. Links were used, but the standard number was three with five used to distinguish the annual plates from the medal.  As hereinabove mentioned, these presentation medals were rendered in the standard copper-nickel alloy.  The links used were made of steel anchored to the medals and plates with silver frames.  These metal fixtures were used to keep inevitable tarnish to a minimum.  Even with the utmost care, metals subject to direct contact with environmental air, will suffer tarnish, copper most notably.

As regarding the obverse, the Latin inscription, de profundis, literally, "out of the depths" made popular by Oscar Wilde in a letter written from Reading gaol, as used in this context, has a significance lost to history. The "I Dream of Genie" lamp resting on a modest tome, entitled: "Ancient Mystery," too, has been lost to history.  One can only assume the number 14, stamped rather ostentatiously on the reverse, refers to its "mintage" in a limited production run. The medal originally festooned with tastefully-sized tri-color ribbons of red, white and blue, but are inexplicably missing.

This concludes my review of the ANA medal, which I remind viewers was spun from whole cloth, posted to promote dissenting commentary and is subject to removal by Moderators at their sole discretion for cause, or no cause at all.  (worship)

On 4/17/2024 at 8:51 PM, Just Bob said:

What was the hammer price?

$100

On 4/17/2024 at 9:07 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Note:  The following account, a flight of fancy which bears no relation whatsoever to the truth is presented as an ode to every man, woman and child whose contributions to the Forum were presented in good faith only to be mauled by members whose credentials appear to have been dominated unchallenged by those whose words over an interval sufficient enough to make newcomers, unschooled in independent research, accept them and repeat them as one would gospel truth, buoyed along by a practiced form of mindless herd instinct.

We are presented here with what appears, at first blush, to be a common ANA pin replete with links and bars. To the unacquainted, it appears to be genuine.  No one dares mention why the years 1912 and 1913 are unrepresented. Perhaps no conventions were held in those years; perhaps there were.  To the trained eye, the package is inauthentic. ANA pins were made, but they were not rendered in what appears to be copper. Links were used, but the standard number was three with five used to distinguish the annual plates from the medal.  As hereinabove mentioned, these presentation medals were rendered in the standard copper-nickel alloy.  The links used were made of steel anchored to the medals and plates with silver frames.  These metal fixtures were used to keep inevitable tarnish to a minimum.  Even with the utmost care, metals subject to direct contact with environmental air, will suffer tarnish, copper most notably.

As regarding the obverse, the Latin inscription, de profundis, literally, "out of the depths" made popular by Oscar Wilde in a letter written from Reading gaol, as used in this context, has a significance lost to history. The "I Dream of Genie" lamp resting on a modest tome, entitled: "Ancient Mystery," too, has been lost to history.  One can only assume the number 14, stamped rather ostentatiously on the reverse, refers to its "mintage" in a limited production run. The medal originally festooned with tastefully-sized tri-color ribbons of red, white and blue, but are inexplicably missing.

This concludes my review of the ANA medal, which I remind viewers was spun from whole cloth, posted to promote dissenting commentary and is subject to removal by Moderators at their sole discretion for cause, or no cause at all.  (worship)

Nice try, but no cigar. No tri-colored ribbon for the pin and bars. Years 1912 and 1913, conventions were held, but this member either did not attend or did not purchase a bar for those years. De Profundis may have been made popular by Oscar Wilde, but it is much better known in other circles. As for the metal and links, well that’s another story. 
As for the meaning of the number 14, that has not been confirmed yet - but it was not the mintage. ANA President Zerbe, at the time, was the driving force behind the ANA convention medals. By the way, the first convention was held in 1891.

Reminds me of those dreaded Sunday School attendance and verse memorization awards.