• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Summer Seminar Scholarship Received

17 posts in this topic

I have been awarded a Robert Lecce Scholarship (partial, tuition only) for the Summer Seminar this coming June. The value is $770. Because of the “extras” I ordered, including 3 extra nights room and board, to catch events between the two main weeks, I am spending a similar amount. The Robert Lecce is the only one offered by the ANA to adults of any financial status. The application was almost as daunting as a college application, complete with the essay. 

I wanted class #31 - A Survey of 20th and 21st Century World Coins, but that only has two sign ups, so I will most likely be in:

#34 - A History of U.S. Colonial Coins, Currency, and Medals, taught by Dr. Jesse Kraft of the ANS.

Next year, I will be applying for one of F.U.N. scholarships that are offered. Object lesson: sharpen up your writing skills.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I have been awarded a Robert Lecce Scholarship (partial, tuition only) for the Summer Seminar this coming June. The value is $770. Because of the “extras” I ordered, including 3 extra nights room and board, to catch events between the two main weeks, I am spending a similar amount. The Robert Lecce is the only one offered by the ANA to adults of any financial status. The application was almost as daunting as a college application, complete with the essay. 

I wanted class #31 - A Survey of 20th and 21st Century World Coins, but that only has two sign ups, so I will most likely be in:

#34 - A History of U.S. Colonial Coins, Currency, and Medals, taught by Dr. Jesse Kraft of the ANS.

Next year, I will be applying for one of F.U.N. scholarships that are offered. Object lesson: sharpen up your writing skills.

...i can read ritin' but cant rite readin'...r u 'llowed to draw pitchers?....

On 4/16/2024 at 10:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Both courses sound very interesting. Never heard of the scholarship.

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 5:52 AM, Zebo said:

Both courses sound very interesting. Never heard of the scholarship.

They are competitively awarded. Some full scholarships complete with transportation expenses, and others like mine -tuition only. Class #31 is on the cancellation chopping block. They need a rush of students to save it. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 5:53 AM, VKurtB said:

This prestigious scholarship provides access to top-tier educational resources, expert instruction, and a network of professionals in the field. It represents a significant step towards academic and professional growth. For students seeking additional academic assistance, particularly in challenging subjects like algebra, https://essays.edubirdie.com/algebra-help offers support and guidance. Just as the ANA Summer Seminar enhances learning opportunities, academic support services like Edubirdie ensure students have the help they need to excel.

cool

Edited by WalterMatthews1

Why is there spam from Edubirdie added onto my quote??? Hmmm?? I said none of that. 

That's nice for Kurt. However....

Personally, I feel ANA should be giving "Free Rides" to much younger people, thereby investing in the future.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:40 AM, VKurtB said:

Why is there spam from Edubirdie added onto my quote??? Hmmm?? I said none of that. 

That is the latest trend in the spambot game, apparently. I have seen it happen several times recently.

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 7:09 PM, RWB said:

That's nice for Kurt. However....

Personally, I feel ANA should be giving "Free Rides" to much younger people, thereby investing in the future.

There are literally dozens and dozens of “free rides” given by numerous organizations, ALL OF WHICH are earmarked for young numismatists EXCEPT this one. This is the ONLY ONE that an adult can be awarded. One is even earmarked for a “diverse” youth. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/30/2024 at 8:51 PM, VKurtB said:

There are literally dozens and dozens of “free rides” given by numerous organizations, ALL OF WHICH are earmarked for young numismatists EXCEPT this one. This is the ONLY ONE that an adult can be awarded. One is even earmarked for a “diverse” youth. 

Reminds me of the time I got on a NYC bus behind 9 other people who simply walked on, and kept walking.  I told the driver, "Maybe they need a fare for the homeless?"  Without missing a beat, he turned to me and said, "They already got that. It"s called FREE."

On 5/30/2024 at 8:24 AM, WalterMatthews1 said:

cool

COURT:  No, not cool.  The jury is directed to disregard, in its entirety, all testimony following the words of the original last line of the court reporter's transcript:  "Object lesson: sharpen up your writing skills."

Infractions of this kind, covert tampering of witness trial testimony, shall not be tolerated.

SO ORDERED.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

On 5/30/2024 at 8:25 PM, Just Bob said:

That is the latest trend in the spambot game, apparently. I have seen it happen several times recently.

The complaint should be reported and will be reviewed when it is received.  I have addressed the matter in my own inimitable way. [The offense alleged is worse than the colorization of black-and-white films without a director's consent.]

On 5/30/2024 at 8:51 PM, VKurtB said:

Unless you are destitute and/or have some immediate plan to use the information in a productive and positive manner, then even that one "free ride" is excessive. Do you have a real plan to use the seminar information to benefit the hobby?

Exactly the same should apply to me or anyone else.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 10:32 AM, RWB said:

Unless you are destitute and/or have some immediate plan to use the information in a productive and positive manner, then even that one "free ride" is excessive. Do you have a real plan to use the seminar information to benefit the hobby?

Exactly the same should apply to me or anyone else.

But only YOU are entitled to make that determination for the whole hobby, right? Get bent. The estate of Robert Lecce decided who they wanted to benefit and chose adults over 18, while everyone else chose youths. The criteria were requested by the estate and approved by the ANA Board of Governors. It was ANA staff who encouraged me to apply BECAUSE of my volunteer work over many years. That is a criterion that counts highly for the Lecce Scholarship. Wow, Roger, there really isn’t ANYTHING you won’t f**k up, is there? Do me a favor and get lost, you creep.

Edited by VKurtB

ANA should not be wasting potential revenue on the likes of VKurtBS, me, or any other old person unless there is some clear plan to make immediate use of the information. (A message on a tombstone does not count.)

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 11:08 AM, RWB said:

ANA should not be wasting potential revenue on the likes of VKurtBS, me, or any other old person unless there is some clear plan to make immediate use of the information. (A message on a tombstone does not count.)

What? Are you stupid? The Robert Lecce estate funded this scholarship IN FULL, there is no ANA revenue involved. The Robert Lecce estate wanted this to go to an adult who possessed the desired curriculum vitae. This is the application site for all ANA Scholarships:

https://www.money.org/ana-summer-seminar-scholarships/

The Lecce is awarded based on (must be an adult):

60% - involvement, leadership, and accomplishments 

30% - essay and other written answers

10% - overall impression

Know what’s NOT there? Yeah, vanity publishing regurgitations from a NARA. Know what ELSE is not there? Perpetually trying to substitute YOUR UNINFORMED OPINIONS for legally binding actions of others doing their jobs. And yes, that applies to basically EVERYTHING you ever write. 

Edited by VKurtB

Know what a narcissistic blowhard does? He offers unsolicited opinions without BOTHERING to “research” (remember, this particular narcissistic blowhard is supposedly some kind of researcher) (as if…) the actual requirements set down by the estate that established the scholarship, which are clearly laid out on the ANA’s website, and have been since the Lecce scholarships were created. This narcissistic blowhard may have captivated this site’s administrators with his tomes, but it only makes those administrators look profoundly foolish.