• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think this 1921 is a chapman pf?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

20240416_174248.thumb.jpg.18355308666a8795cf4fa3b17a19b078.jpgI'm wondering if this 1921 I have looks to be a chapman pf, I know this is really a dumb question.

In the collage the top 2 are chapman, the bottom 2 is my 1921 morgan.

• Administrator

Hello @xinfantry! Thanks for reaching out. Happy to help with your inquiry. To confidently determine what the coin is, we would be happy to conduct a comprehensive review in-house through our authentication and grading process! If you are interested in submitting, you can find more information online at How to Submit. We also offer expert coin conservation services when requested through the NCS Conservation add-on. You can learn more about NCS online at NCS Conservation! Thanks again for reaching out and please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

As you can see, the NGC staff will not answer questions of this sort but will simply reply with a stock answer telling you to submit the coin, which will likely cause you to waste a great deal of money. The photos of your coin do not suggest that it has a mirror proof surface. It appears to have normal frosty luster, an ordinary strike and a beveled edge, as opposed to the mirror fields, very sharp strike and squarer edge of the Chapman proof

Remember that Chapman proofs, of which ten to fifteen are thought to have been made, though possibly a few more, as opposed to 44,690,000 regular 1921 Morgan dollars, were sold to numismatists of that era and are highly unlikely to simply "turn up" among ordinary coins. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-1-chapman/7342.  There is a tentative attribution guide to these coins at http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1921-P_PROOF to which I would compare your coin before entertaining any notion of submitting it to a grading service.  I would also try to show it to one or more numismatists who are familiar with authenticated examples.