• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Lincoln 1C small date
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, VasquezJ said:

Is the  1982 D Lincoln 1C small date valuable 

Generally speaking, no. If it is the old alloy, yes. But only two have ever been found, in 42 years. You are NOT in possession of #3.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:39 PM, VasquezJ said:

IMG_7071.thumb.png.d16a388cbd954bd35e7f023ffc0d9334.png

This is bad information. I wouldn’t trust anything else from this source.

On 4/15/2024 at 2:27 PM, VasquezJ said:

Is the  1982 D Lincoln 1C small date valuable 

No, unless it had been struck on a leftover 95% copper, 5% zinc blank, which would weigh approximately 3.11 grams and likely have to pass other tests for authentication. Only two have been found. 1982-D small dates struck from the new copper plated zinc alloy (approximately 2.5 grams), like all other varieties of 1982 and 1982-D cents are extremely common and would only be worth face value in any condition that you could expect to find them in circulation.

On 4/15/2024 at 2:37 PM, VasquezJ said:

But the rare [small date copper] coins are from Denver correct?

Yes.

Based upon the quotation you are showing, the website you are looking at is apparently spreading false information. Over 10.7 billion 1982 (no mintmark) cents were made, all of whose four varieties (all possible combinations of large and small dates and the old 95% copper and new copper plated zinc alloys) are common. The majority of the mintage was of the old alloy, whose standard weight of 3.11 grams would be the same for all cents going back to 1865, except for 1943 steel cents. 

Please use accepted resources such as those I referred you to in one of your earlier topics and not random websites, some of which contain false or incomplete information. Have you at least obtained a "Red Book"? The 2025 edition is now available from its publisher (whitman.com) and elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

In process of purchasing a Red Book but noticed there different types but I guess the most updated would be the better I would think. Ok I see the book you’re talking about. 

Edited by VasquezJ

Posted (edited)

All those coins are small date but I’m assuming there just common right?

Edited by VasquezJ

The coins that you are posted are small dates, but, yes, the 1982 is common regardless of its composition, and the 1982-Ds are common if they are copper plated zinc, as they almost certainly are.

The information in your last post, which I assume is from PCGS Coinfacts, a legitimate source, is correct. The "seven varieties" don't include the extremely rare 1982-D small date copper because it wasn't intentionally made by the mint and is usually classified as a mint error.