• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a penny error or damage.
1 1

43 posts in this topic

If you will look up the thread I have already did that with someone who first posted it. Maybe you should read a little of the thread before you judge to much.

I'm not seeing anything that looks like a die break. Nothing that looks like die failure. The weak lettering on the reverse looks like the results from a filled die. I'm seeing lots of dents, scratches and wear from circulation. Part of the rim damage came from being smashed or possibly the blank was punched from the end of the strip. This can create a blank that is not the same thickness across the blank. There is one spot on the rim that could have been caused by someone using the coin as a screwdriver. 

It's not possible to be sure what caused some damage but it's still clear that it is just damage. I'm not sure NGC would even slab the coin but I'm sure they will not grade it. If anything the label would just say DAMAGED. It will cost $50 to $60 in fees to answer that. 

I would take that same money and go out for a nice steak dinner.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:19 AM, Robertdpg said:

Now if you think like that you are never going to find anything. It only makes sense that a die had a catastrophic failure to cause this. Plus it was already know that that die had major issues. It had do many that the coins it messed up on are really not worth that much because there were so many of them.

Explain why the lettering on the back is not as pronounced as the rest.. on the obverse it is pushed back exactly where the dies were known to break. You can see where lincolns head is bulging out from were a peace of the die pushed from the back. At the top IN GOD is almost twice the size than the letters in the end of trust.

If you look at the work God you can see where the die broke and pushed the obverse side out. 

But even with all of the damage to the coin it's probably not worth a lot because all the other damage it did to the coins before this. 

But it's fine to disagree it just a penny.

I hate to say it, but just from looking at it for a second, I know there is no error. This is just a simple case of damage. Now, I have only been in this hobby for three years now, but I've sorted through enough pennies to know damage when I see it. Still a interesting coin though. It almost looks like the damages was intentional.....

If you will look up the thread I have already did that with someone who first posted it. Maybe you should read a little of the thread before you judge to much.

Here is why the letting is not as pronounced in the middle of the reverse it is a catastrophic die failure. It can and does happen more often than you think.

People really should look at more already graded error coins.

17131337717642795672021381315071.jpg

This is a catastrophic die failure. Now stop trying to tell me that you just don't know how damage could happen at the mint. 

Go to cups on coins Web Site and you will see many examples of coins like this.

17131370784032760303657260759387.jpg

I think that the OP knows perfectly well that his 1957-D cent is just damaged.  I'll refrain from speculating on his motives for claiming that a scraped and crushed coin exhibits "die failure". 

On 4/14/2024 at 6:27 PM, Robertdpg said:

Now stop trying to tell me that you just don't know how damage could happen at the mint.

Very well then. How about you submit this coin to NGC as a mint error and get back to us on this thread with the results. I want to see a picture of it in the slab with the submission number. By the way, if the label says Damaged, it means it happened after it left the mint. I'll wait...