• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think about my 1993 Lincoln Cent
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board and thank you for the clear photos. 

As the NGC Registry forum is intended for topics pertaining to the certified coin registry, your post would get better attention on the "U.S. World, and Ancient Coins" forum or the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum. (The Administrator will likely move it to one of them.)

You appear to have a nice mint "red" uncirculated 1993 cent.  If you found it in recent change, it is presumably from a roll that was kept until recently and for some reason was opened and spent.  As 1993 Lincoln cents have a reported mintage of 5,684,705,000 pieces, it will never be a rare coin but is worth preserving in its current condition so that it may be enjoyed by future generations of collectors.  If it has been touched by bare hands or certain other surfaces, it will likely spot and darken unless it is decontaminated.  I recommend soaking it briefly in acetone or at least clean (preferably distilled) water, rinsing it in such water and patting (not rubbing) it dry with a clean tissue.  Once dry, it should be placed in a mylar coin flip, coin capsule, or another appropriate holder or coin album. Hold the coin only by its edges.

It would make a nice album coin, there is already some minor spotting and discoloration due to circulation so not one that should be considered for submission to a TPG for grading.   I would second the idea of an acetone bath to remove any finger oils and other contaminates that may still be on the coin.

On 4/11/2024 at 5:55 PM, ImNotAMinion said:

This is one of my Pocket change finds.

P5120102.JPG

P5120100.JPG

Album coin. I have a separate Dansco cent album that is only for circulation finds. Yours looks a little like my 1993. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

It would make a nice album coin, there is already some minor spotting and discoloration due to circulation so not one that should be considered for submission to a TPG for grading.   I would second the idea of an acetone bath to remove any finger oils and other contaminates that may still be on the coin.

It is my understanding that acetone should not be used on cooper. Also and unfortunately, my hands are not as steady as I'd like. But this coin is DDO & DDR which makes it worthy for submission. Also, since 2017 I have purchased two uncirculated products from the US mint, and in comparison i suspects my penny is in uncirculated condition.

And while reminiscing YouTube grades & eBay postings & sells, I will submit my 1993 Phili for grading.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:00 AM, ImNotAMinion said:

this coin is DDO & DDR which makes it worthy for submission.

Based on your photos, I see no indication that your coin was struck from either an obverse or reverse doubled die. (It would be extremely unusual for both the obverse and reverse of a coin to exhibit die doubling.)  I see no doubling of any kind.

NGC will generally only attribute varieties that are listed on VarietyPlus, and there are no listed varieties for 1993 cents.  Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  I understand that PCGS also only attributes certain (better known) varieties and that ANACS will attribute more minor ones, but they would have to be recognized by some respected authority or be a significant new discovery. 

Have you checked such sites as doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com, which list more varieties, for a match?  You could also post photos that show where you see doubling for our opinions. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:00 AM, ImNotAMinion said:

It is my understanding that acetone should not be used on cooper. Also and unfortunately, my hands are not as steady as I'd like. But this coin is DDO & DDR which makes it worthy for submission. Also, since 2017 I have purchased two uncirculated products from the US mint, and in comparison i suspects my penny is in uncirculated condition.

And while reminiscing YouTube grades & eBay postings & sells, I will submit my 1993 Phili for grading.

I don't know where you got your "understanding" about the use of acetone on copper but that is pure misinformation.   Maybe the same sources that are misleading you on what you think you have and/or think your coin will grade or its value.   Acetone does not react with the copper cladding of your zincon, I personally have used acetone on hundreds of Lincolns of varying age with no issue.   I see no signs of even the worthless forms of strike doubling much less any kind of real doubling, maybe your less than steady hands are making you see double. (shrug)  

The last four 1993 NGC graded MS68 1993 coins to sell on ebay sold for $52 or less each and the last three MS67's (the best I think your coin will grade) sold for $20 or less; which is less than what you will pay to have your coin graded by NGC.    By the time you take the cost of selling on ebay even the MS68's that sold might have netted the seller $20 (and I'm assuming those sellers submitted under bulk pricing), hardly a life altering windfall.

On 4/13/2024 at 11:41 AM, Coinbuf said:

I don't know where you got your "understanding" about the use of acetone on copper but that is pure misinformation.   Maybe the same sources that are misleading you on what you think you have and/or think your coin will grade or its value.   Acetone does not react with the copper cladding of your zincon, I personally have used acetone on hundreds of Lincolns of varying age with no issue.   I see no signs of even the worthless forms of strike doubling much less any kind of real doubling, maybe your less than steady hands are making you see double. (shrug)  

The last four 1993 NGC graded MS68 1993 coins to sell on ebay sold for $52 or less each and the last three MS67's (the best I think your coin will grade) sold for $20 or less; which is less than what you will pay to have your coin graded by NGC.    By the time you take the cost of selling on ebay even the MS68's that sold might have netted the seller $20 (and I'm assuming those sellers submitted under bulk pricing), hardly a life altering windfall.

I believe the poster may be confusing the use of thiourea coin “dip” solutions with using acetone. “Dip”, such as EZest absolutely WILL cause funky colors on copper. Acetone, which is NOT DIP, will not. 

Three members have weighed in twice on this fairly straightforward query.  I would be a fool to speak up now, but as difficult as it may seem to believe, I do have a thought...

First and foremost, it is refreshing coming across a humble post, that refrains from insisting we recognize a flaw or error of some kind otherwise invisible to all but the OP. You have a -- let's see, can't call it "fine"; can't refer to it as a "specimen" -- how 'bout a lovely LHC! 🤣

Funny how the cost of production of Lincolns shifted, as an issue, when the price of copper rose and the Wheaties went the way of butterflies, but resurfaced with the newer memorial cents whose intrinsic value, rather than being openly discussed, is swept under the rug of susidization by larger coins. I still feel their days are numbered, but yours is worth keeping.

Some folks collect arrowheads; I like Indian Heads. Cents, not heads.