• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of these Coins is a Better Purchase for a Newbie?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 11:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

Spam is what sellers do when they shamelessly post their coins for sale disguised as something else.   And no this entire forum is not like FB or Insta for internet sellers to hawk their coins on every thread.   The marketplace section of the forum is where you can advertise, the rest of this forum is for education and general coin related conversation.

What's the big negative aspect of every once and a while someone posts some really cool coin on any of the boards and anyone who see it can buy it? I personally would like to see examples of coins that I would be able to buy from Any of the Chatters on NGC. I personally am ALWAYS UP FOR ACQUIRING A NEW COIN. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:27 PM, Sandon said:

You can't reasonably compare a coin made for circulation long ago and distributed in bulk, such as a 1916-D "Mercury" dime, with a noncirculating legal tender piece made and issued as a collector's item, such as either of the pieces you are hawking, of which virtually all minted still exist in superb gem condition. 

Personal Collection as well as Competitive "Coin" sets for the NGC site.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:49 AM, powermad5000 said:

Newbies should stay far away from this. And this thread is just a sales pitch.

The mods should remove this post.

I'm trying build a set for the NGC Competitive coins section. Pardon me if I'm in the wrong section, I'm a newbie

On 4/6/2024 at 8:15 AM, Jason Abshier said:

@murder69 I have 2016-w gold mercury dime SP70 … that’s actually very common grade for that type of commemorative coins is what I consider them …. I wouldn’t look at graded gold coins as an investment …. If you want invest ? Theres far better stuff to invest into real estates or such I always tell new collectors that … coin collecting should not be looked at as investment opportunities! Why ? Most of us average collectors don’t have pockets deep enough to buy what was call “high roller” or “trophy coins” or a true “rarity coin” those type of coins are cream of the crop they pull in a lot money their market is also unpredictable too hard to put a price on high roller coin they are always almost auctioned off see what price they really pull in …  

we have the average coin collection I have mixture of raw and graded classic coinage , I look at them just like I look at my Silver coins in fact some silver coins are worth more than gold coins on market …. Thats something to keep in mind if you want to “invest” into gold ? I would buy it raw form and not graded for investment … now if you “collect” then buy graded gold coins and treat it as collectible in your collection and not an investment 

steer away from that seller you provided links too … he got his stuff marked way way too high 

I have the "Make Offer" option available.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:05 AM, murder69 said:

Make offer Icon Provided if you Feel Price is too High

Well, knock off 30% and make an offer and report back. (thumbsu

On 4/7/2024 at 3:36 AM, murder69 said:

I have the "Make Offer" option available.

I have reported your post and asked the mods to either move it to the Marketplace or delete it.

On 4/7/2024 at 3:35 AM, murder69 said:

Pardon me if I'm in the wrong section, I'm a newbie

You state this in a reply yet still are pushing sales.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:31 AM, murder69 said:

What's the big negative aspect of every once and a while someone posts some really cool coin on any of the boards and anyone who see it can buy it? I personally would like to see examples of coins that I would be able to buy from Any of the Chatters on NGC. I personally am ALWAYS UP FOR ACQUIRING A NEW COIN. 

I would not expect someone of your obvious low character and equally low ethics/morals to understand the "big negative".

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/7/2024 at 4:26 AM, murder69 said:

What should I price the Gold Mercury Dime PCGS 70 for then? To make it Worth Buying?

Yo, redrum guy!  You're making me look like a real [expletive deleted] by continuing to insist in your persistence in pursuing this highly irregular agenda.  You're a Newbie. Okay, no problem. For lack of a better term, you committed irreversible error. Upshot? Your thread is dead.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt early on: pick A or pick B. Or so I thought. Then the jolt in the form of a Reality Check hit, your motive was exposed, and that should have been the end of it. Here, you can sign off on this debacle by humming this tune to the musical score 🎶 from "Superfly"... "Thread is de-ead. bu-, bu-, Bump!... bu-, bu- Bump! bu-, bu- Bump! ... Bu- bu-bu-bu BUMP!"  Finito Goomba! Capiche?  

On 4/7/2024 at 3:32 AM, murder69 said:

What's a Fair Price to Sell it for then?

20 bucks over Original Issue Price. 

On 4/7/2024 at 4:31 AM, murder69 said:

What's the big negative aspect of every once and a while someone posts some really cool coin on any of the boards and anyone who see it can buy it? 

Nothing...if it's posted correctly and in the right section.  We're not trying to rain on your enthusiasm, and you may have good intentions (or not !)....but there is a procedure for threads like yours.(thumbsu

If we were to disregard those procedures, it wouldn't just be your thread/post that goes astray....we'd have dozens more in no time. :o:mad:

On 4/9/2024 at 7:59 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Spot

Probably true. Even at 70. 

I'll go with Spot also, but what determines spot? I have trouble finding spot values for some coins on NGC. If there's no basic spot value listed on the "look up coin" section on NGC App then I make one up. What do you do?

Spot value can change daily. Just look up the value of gold that day and multiply it by the weight of your coin.
Example:    
Spot $2100.00 x 1/2 oz.  gold coin = spot value of $1050.00.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:53 AM, murder69 said:

I'll go with Spot also, but what determines spot? I have trouble finding spot values for some coins on NGC. If there's no basic spot value listed on the "look up coin" section on NGC App then I make one up. What do you do?

GOLD spot, not anytging having to do with the particular issue. The AVERAGE grade for BOTH of the gold pieces you showed is greater than 69.5. That means the pure MAJORITY of them are 70’s. That means being a 70 coin is worth only the tiniest of premiums, if any. Frankly, when you had them graded, to me you REDUCED their value, even at 70 grade. I prefer them in Original Government Packaging. Yes, I know that there are yahoos like the wholesale dealers who cater to those who like EVERYTHING slabbed, but that’s just sick. Sorry. 

Edited by VKurtB