• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you can watch this entire video you are addicted to coins. Do you have what it takes?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Mike, I have what it takes but I am sorry to say I am not a happy camper. When I was but a teenager in the 1960's, I visited the Chase Money Museum down in the Financial District. Admission was free. I was delighted to see what I saw. I was greeted cordially.  Fast forward to the future. I am married. I read an article in the N.Y. Times a few years ago informing readers of a move of the American Numismatic Society (ANS) from midtown to the lower West Side (SoHo)  My wife, having little interest in coins, had to be cajoled into going with me. As it was a new experience for me, I did not know what to expect.  Their entire move, heavily guarded, to 75 Varick Street took place in the dead of night and resembled a military operation to match. It took all night. I waited until they were all settled in, and months later decided to pay them a visit.

From the moment I stepped foot into their new address, an isolated area (not far from Canal Street and the Holland Tunnel) my wife and I were treated with suspicion as intruders.  We were interrogated at length by a number of unsmiling people.  It is no exaggeration to say we were both asked to surrender our ID and had our mugshots taken... ( I would not have been surprised in the least if they insisted on having our fingerprints taken and ordered us to undress for a search.)  We were forced to stand for hours (there was no seating as there was no waiting area) and after an interminable wait, was asked why we were there. I told a succession of people we were there to see a single coin: one of their oldest, a Lydian electrum explaining my interest as my father was born were they were made. This only made them more nervous. They asked me what I could tell them about it. All I could say was it was small and believed to be one of the earliest coins made by man. After more back and forth punctuated by long periods of non-communicative waiting, they sent a young woman out to "suggest" we become members @$20 apiece for a total of $40. In most "museums" in NYC, you are simply asked to make a contribution. This was more a demand, with papers to fill out.

Incidentally, their "gallery," which is unavoidable as it stands inside the entrace, contains a few cabinets and miscellaneous coins accompanied by small cards with illegible writing in unlit glass display cases which must be viewed from a distance of one foot. (This is analogous to some of the coins Newbies post on our forums, unfocused and uncrowded.)  Ever the gentleman, I accepted the application forms, retrieved our Identification, and bid all adieu.

Mike, while I wouldn't characterize my interest in coins as "addictive", I am innately curious about them, but allergic to bad form.  Had it been me, I would have ushered the two visitors into a room of the fortress otherwise known as the ANS, and informed my guests "While we do not ordinarily make exceptions, and do not entertain many guests, I would be pleased to show you what you've come to see us for."  And I can assure you, I would have gone home, read the brochures, and remitted our membership fees.

What were the membership fees?  (The entire kit and kaboodle may be found at: numismatics.com) summarized as follows:

Organization'l Membership $660-$950

Lifetime Membership

49 and under:  $3,800

50-64  $3,150

65.  +      $995

Individual Membership  Established member: $195. (Age 36 and over)

Young member:  $140  (Age 35 or older)

Emeritus:  $140  (10+ years, Age 35 and under; age 60 and older)

Recent Graduate:  35, 1+ year student member (available for one year following graduation.)  

Student Membership.  Active undergraduate or graduate student  35.  🐓 

It seems a bit too long and unfocused. There are also several mistakes, misdirections and loose-ends, but that happens with this sort of promotional item.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:48 PM, RWB said:

It seems a bit too long and unfocused. There are also several mistakes, misdirections and loose-ends, but that happens with this sort of promotional item.

Evidently, you have what it takes.  With the OP's thumbs-up, I hereby pronounce you the Grand Master of coin video aficionados. (Addict sounds too judgmental)  🤣