• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why no point and competitive sets for ancient world?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hmmmm.....I wonder the same thing, just the other way around.

Why all the wonderment?  If "seek and ye shall find" doesn't help, there's an app for that: NGC's own dedicated Forum, "Ask NGC/NCS."  

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

See the following topic on the Registry forum for NGC's explanation: NGC Registry- Where do I add my Ancient coins? - NGC Registry Help and Instructions - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards

There are thousands of different types of ancient coins, some of which are difficult to authenticate or attribute, and there do not appear to be any generally accepted grading standards for them.  It would be very difficult to define or score an appropriate number of slots for any competitive set that would be all-inclusive or be satisfactory to all collectors who wanted to participate.  Custom sets, though not scored, afford collectors of ancient coins that have been encapsulated by NGC Ancients an opportunity to display and describe their coins in accordance with their own preferences, and NGC does give annual awards to Custom sets, including for the "Best Ancient Custom Set". See The NGC Registry Awards | NGC (ngccoin.com).