• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique and Interesting Gold Ring $1 Mint Proof Pattern Coin Offered by Rare Coin Wholesalers
1 1

7 posts in this topic

This coin is very very nice. Ring design coins are not seen often for sale in business strike and even more rare in proof. This is my type of dream coin. The unique design and small mintages make these very attractive. Rare Coin Wholesalers.Picture of 1852 RING $1, J-145 THICK PR67+Picture of 1852 RING $1, J-145 THICK PR67+Picture of 1852 RING $1, J-145 THICK PR67+

1852 RING $1, J-145 THICK PR67+

THICK PLANCHET. J-145. SENSATIONAL GOLD RING DOLLAR. RARITY-6. SOLE HIGHEST GRADED. CAC.
Grading Service: PCGS
SKU: 142501
Cert Number: 44161069

$93,500.00
Edited by Mike Meenderink

It is a pattern piece, not a legal tender coin. There are no circulation strike pieces. It was one of several US Mint experiments toward making gold one dollar, and gold fifty-cent coins in a convenient diameter.

See my book Fads, Fakes & Foibles, pages 57-90, for details.

Just another take off of the Australian Holey Dollar of 1813 or others that may have preceded it. The question is - where is the dump?

30 Sep 1813 - 'holey dollar' and 'dump' coins

The holey dollar' and 'dump' coins became legal tender in New South Wales by a proclamation issued by Governor Macquarie to address the acute shortage of coinage in the colony, the British authorities had arranged with the Directors of the East India Company that £10,000 worth of dollars be purchased in India and shipped to NSW.

To make available coins and ensure that they remained in the colony, Macquarie commissioned convicted forger William Henshall to cut the center (the dump) out of each coin and stamp them with NSW. The smaller dump was worth fifteen pence and the larger holey dollar was worth five shillings. Although these coins became legal tender on 30 September they were not available for general issue until January 1814.

Sources:National Museum of Australia. (2021). Holey dollarThe Royal Australian Mint. Australian coins – a fascinating history

IMG_5743.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 6:42 AM, RWB said:

There are no circulation strike pieces

There are no gold ring pattern circulation strikes like my original coin posted but there are other ring coins from the mint that were struck as test circulation type designs. That is what I was referring to in my original post.

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Governor Macquarie set the value of the holey dollar at five shillings, with 15 pence for the dump. These coins went into circulation in 1814. The New South Wales colonial administration began recalling the holey dollars and dumps and replacing them with sterling coinage starting in 1822. When the holey dollar was finally demonetised in 1829, most of the 40,000 coins in circulation had been exchanged.