• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One coin - Eight mints
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Only one coin had the distinction of being produced in eight different Mints.  (If I can remember which it was, I will dutifully post the answer on Easter Sunday, otherwise known as April Fool's Day.)

On 3/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Only one coin had the distinction of being produced in eight different Mints.  (If I can remember which it was, I will dutifully post the answer on Easter Sunday, otherwise known as April Fool's Day.)

We’re limiting this to American, right?

The Liberty Head half eagle was coined at seven different U.S. Mint facilities--Philadelphia, Charlotte, Dahlonega, New Orleans, San Francisco, Carson City, and Denver. I can't think of any type of U.S. coin produced at eight. Some European countries such as France and Germany may have had eight or more mints operating at the same time.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Easter is March 31. April 1 is the day after Easter. Orthodox Easter is May 5. 

It depends how you slice and dice it. World? Modern or ancient? Actual mint or just location. Legally  minted I hope. 

Edited by Zebo

If you are including ancients, then I think Alexander the Great may have had his coins minted in
at least 8 locations as he had mints in various areas of his vast empire.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:20 PM, VKurtB said:

Easter is March 31. April 1 is the day after Easter. Orthodox Easter is May 5. 

...every forum has its fool...every month n every day....

On 3/30/2024 at 9:11 AM, zadok said:

...every forum has its fool...every month n every day....

I suppose you could say my parents were atheists. That's why I turned out so good.  🤣

Back on Track

"The $5 denomination has the distinction of being the only denomination for which [gold] coins were minted at eight US Mints."  

Wikipedia - Distinctions

"Although circulating half eagle products was discontinued in 1929, half eagle commemmoratives and $5 denominated (1/10 ounce bullion coins were minted at West Point starting in the late twentieth century.  Proof coins were produced at Philadelphia from 1859 on."

It appears, minus the "trick" fact included under Distinctions last, member Sandon came closest to providing the answer to the question.

(Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco, New Orleans, Carson City, Dahlonega, Charlotte -- and West Point.)

Now we can open the debate why West Point Mint counts or does not count regarding OPs question. 

On 3/30/2024 at 10:12 PM, Zebo said:

Now we can open the debate why West Point Mint counts or does not count regarding OPs question. 

Bear in mind, I am merely quoting Wikimedia.  I am only the messenger.

Like I said - slice and dice. Is a $5 proof NCLT that doesn’t even have an eagle on it considered a half eagle or a piece of modern metallic art? 

On 3/31/2024 at 9:42 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Bear in mind, I am merely quoting Wikimedia.  I am only the messenger.

QA, did you know that there were coins being minted in over 70 mints in England at one time? 

Your question: when and how many mints???

Edited by Zebo
Question added

On 3/30/2024 at 7:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Back on Track

"The $5 denomination has the distinction of being the only denomination for which [gold] coins were minted at eight US Mints."  

Wikipedia - Distinctions

"Although circulating half eagle products was discontinued in 1929, half eagle commemmoratives and $5 denominated (1/10 ounce bullion coins were minted at West Point starting in the late twentieth century.  Proof coins were produced at Philadelphia from 1859 on."

It appears, minus the "trick" fact included under Distinctions last, member Sandon came closest to providing the answer to the question.

(Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco, New Orleans, Carson City, Dahlonega, Charlotte -- and West Point.)

You are aware, I hope, that ALL Wiki pages contain the most recent misinformation from the most recent contributor. The editing function is totally absent. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:09 PM, VKurtB said:

You are aware, I hope, that ALL Wiki pages contain the most recent misinformation from the most recent contributor. The editing function is totally absent. 

I am.  I would not characterize it as misinformation willfully committed.  That distinction is reserved for those who practice journalism.  🤣

On 4/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am.  I would not characterize it as misinformation willfully committed.  That distinction is reserved for those who practice journalism.  🤣

Touché. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:41 PM, Zebo said:

QA, did you know that there were coins being minted in over 70 mints in England at one time? 
Your question: when and how many mints???

No, Zebo, I did not. I tell you I was so laser-focused on a comment our Grand Master made in a Topic regarding the fate of that missing coin that Eagles and Half-Eagles were the only thing on my mind.  My apologies.  I did not even check back right away reasoning no one would be able to come up with an answer right away. I knew France and Germany had many more mints than we had, but I certainly did not know England was had even more and was notably prolific in that regard. If I had it to do over again, I certainly would have made my question clearer.  I apologize for the confusion.

I have on occasion corrected Wikipedia and even book and newspaper publishers. Much to the surprise of a prominent author of the history of German zeppelins, and having studied the subject exhaustively in my teens, I was successful in proving one such rigid airship was mislabeled; I was the winner of the contest insisting the official name of the symbol, #, was not "the pound sign," but an "octothorpe," and I also resurrected the rumor proving the Daily News inadvertently printed the term "bull----" in the heat of a courtroom argument by citing date of volume and issue number, which had escaped the notice of censors. It remains a novelty.

Your point is well-tKen.  I do appreciate your input, as aways.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:56 AM, Henri Charriere said:

No, Zebo, I did not. I tell you I was so laser-focused on a comment our Grand Master made in a Topic regarding the fate of that missing coin that Eagles and Half-Eagles were the only thing on my mind.  My apologies.  I did not even check back right away reasoning no one would be able to come up with an answer right away. I knew France and Germany had many more mints than we had, but I certainly did not know England was had even more and was notably prolific in that regard. If I had it to do over again, I certainly would have made my question clearer.  I apologize for the confusion.

I have on occasion corrected Wikipedia and even book and newspaper publishers. Much to the surprise of a prominent author of the history of German zeppelins, and having studied the subject exhaustively in my teens, I was successful in proving one such rigid airship was mislabeled; I was the winner of the contest insisting the official name of the symbol, #, was not "the pound sign," but an "octothorpe," and I also resurrected the rumor proving the Daily News inadvertently printed the term "bull----" in the heat of a courtroom argument by citing date of volume and issue number, which had escaped the notice of censors. It remains a novelty.

Your point is well-tKen.  I do appreciate your input, as aways.

...fyi, there is no "official" name for this symbol...the "pound sign" has been around for a few centuries n is well grounded historically n numismatically derived from the british currency symbol much the same as the $ symbol being derived from the abbreviated symbol for these united states; whereas, the "octothorpe" name was a 1960s technical extension of the symbol to provide non-numeric function on evolving keyboard usage derived from being 8-pointed n umbrage to one, jim thorpe...:news:

On 4/3/2024 at 12:40 PM, zadok said:

...fyi, there is no "official" name for this symbol... [#]

The pound sign (£) and for that matter, the euro sign (€) and the dollar sign ($) and Jehovah's name as written in the earliest Hebrew Aramaic texts (removed on orders of King James on or about the year 1611) appeared as a tetragrammaton, none of which is pertinent to the point I was making in my reply to @Zebo.

FYI (Note: an acronym which is, without exception, always capitalized):  The first class prize for the correct answer, submitted by Moi was a free, one-year subscription to a [an otherwise prohibitively expensive] journal covering such matters as personal privacy, warrants, search and seizure, wiretaps, surveillance, the FOIA and a myriad of other subjects relating to their application in law.  Aside:  "Dialing a phone number" and "dropping a dime" on someone shall continue to be used long after we are both gone.

Submitted for your approval, in my never-ending quest to "broaden the body of knowledge."

On 4/3/2024 at 6:01 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The pound sign (£) and for that matter, the euro sign (€) and the dollar sign ($) and Jehovah's name as written in the earliest Hebrew Aramaic texts (removed on orders of King James on or about the year 1611) appeared as a tetragrammaton, none of which is pertinent to the point I was making in my reply to @Zebo.

FYI (Note: an acronym which is, without exception, always capitalized):  The first class prize for the correct answer, submitted by Moi was a free, one-year subscription to a [an otherwise prohibitively expensive] journal covering such matters as personal privacy, warrants, search and seizure, wiretaps, surveillance, the FOIA and a myriad of other subjects relating to their application in law.  Aside:  "Dialing a phone number" and "dropping a dime" on someone shall continue to be used long after we are both gone.

Submitted for your approval, in my never-ending quest to "broaden the body of knowledge."

...point was nothing official bout it....

epitath:

...here lies q.a.

knew not a pound

an octothorpe found

won a prize

but no renown

sad, sad demise....

.......(capital letters r only for important people).......

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 9:21 PM, zadok said:

.........(capital letters r only for important people).......

... your words, not mine... most telling...

... incidentally... here is how I spell I.R.S., with all caps...

Edit ... make that a doubly sad emoji... epitaph is spelled with two pp's...

Edited by Henri Charriere
Corrections and amplifications.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

... your words, not mine... most telling...

... incidentally... here is how I spell I.R.S., with all caps...

Edit ... make that a doubly sad emoji... epitaph is spelled with two pp's...

Before you affix that epitaph to stone, I present you with one brain teaser and one brain twister.

1-  The ampersand (&) was once the 27th letter of the alphabet.

2-  DAVID RICE ATCHISON was once President of the United States.

If you or anyone else requests, nay, DEMANDS an explanation or the legitimate source of these assertions, I shall be happy to oblige after a decent and appropriate interval.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Before you affix that epitaph to stone, I present you with one brain teaser and one brain twister.

1-  The ampersand (&) was once the 27th letter of the alphabet.

If you or anyone else requests, nay, DEMANDS an explanation or the legitimate source of these assertions, I shall be happy to oblige after a decent and appropriate interval.

...more classic textbook...feeble attempts at deflection...so sad....

On 4/5/2024 at 6:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Historians, constitutional scholars and biographers all dismiss the claim.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:25 PM, zadok said:

...more classic textbook...feeble attempts at deflection...so sad....

Q.A.:  Deflection?  Not at all!  Here's deflection:  "Look it up." Sound familiar?

🐓Have a heart, Q!  Make an exception. (That sad face is really beginning to get to me.)

Q.A.:  Oh, alright... Under the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, the Senate president pro tempore [D.R.A.] immediately followed the vice president in the line of presidential succession. 

President James Polk's term formally ended on March 4, 1849, at noon, and Zachary Taylor was not sworn in until noon on March 5th.  (In observance of the Christian Sabbath, Taylor preferred not to conduct his inauguration on Sunday, March 4th)

David Rice Atchison, president pro tempore of the Senate lawfully and legally filled that void and technically became President of the United States for one day. (He only found out about it when he was awakened from his sleep by a supporter seeking a patronage job from him.)

My apologies to the OP for intentionally hijacking his thread.  🤣

Posted, as always, at the discretion of Moderation. (worship)