• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1810/09 Large Cent
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Just wanted to share this rainbow toned 1810/09 large cent before I send it off. 

Got quite a bit to send off, but we’ll see how it all comes back! 

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you the best of luck, but the chances that your coin receiving a straight grade are very low in my opinion.   If you like that look that is fine, but there is nothing original looking about the coin.

Also, this section of the forum is for member that are selling or looking to buy coins.   Posts like yours should be posted in the newbie or US/world coins sections of the forum.   I have flagged a mod, so they move it to the appropriate area, please do not start a new thread as that will only get confusing if this one gets moved.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board. The clear photos are appreciated. @Coinbuf is correct that a topic like this one is best posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" or "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forums.

Although I am fond of all early U.S. coins, your 1810 over 09 large cent isn't one that I would submit to a third-party grading service. The coin was clearly polished or "cleaned" long ago and has retoned, leaving it with an unnatural appearance and shine. "Rainbow toning" isn't normal on a well-worn copper coin. I predict that the coin will receive a grade of "About Good (or at best Good) Details, Cleaned". Its market value wouldn't be much greater than what it will cost you in grading ($23 at the "Economy" tier) and processing fees and shipping costs.  It's a fine coin for an album, not for a grading service holder.

Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, it is absolutely essential that you have the knowledge and experience necessary to at least approximately grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. You should be reasonably confident that each coin you submit will be awarded a grade at which it would have a market value of at least several hundred dollars.  Otherwise, you are likely to waste a great deal of money that could have been better used to purchase some decent coins.

Edited by Sandon
added re: proper forum