• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 steel wheat penny no mint mark
1 1

6 posts in this topic

One cent, it says so right there on the reverse.  lol   Ok I could not resist, a coin in that condition, obviously circulated and with a corrosion spot on the reverse, is truly only worth a few cents, maybe up to 25 cents to the right person, more likely less than 10 cents to the majority.   If you had a red book you would easily be able to determine which coins are low mintage and might be worth a premium vs the common and low value coins, which is really the bulk of 21st century coins.

A 1943 Steel Lincoln Wheat Cent with no mintmark (P) was struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

Your coin seems to have original surfaces as its color is commensurate with a steel cent with light wear. I would say this would grade somewhere around AU53-AU55, and its value in the price guide currently in that condition is $0.70-$0.75.

I would think if it were submitted however, (I am most certainly not suggesting this) that it would grade as AU details - Environmental Damage for the corrosion spot on the reverse. This details grade would bring the value of this coin down to probably about $0.25.

I have seen many worse examples of this type coin and this one would be a good candidate for an album imho.

The "Red Book" would tell you that this is a 1943 zinc coated steel cent, struck that year to free up copper for the war effort, and that 684,628,670 of these were reportedly struck at the Philadelphia mint.  Studying a grading guide should lead you to the conclusion that this coin is in About Uncirculated condition, and reference to a current price guide would provide retail (dealer sell) values of 50 to 75 cents. (In my opinion, the reverse spot is too small to be considered an impairment.)

Only in better mint state grades does a 1943 steel cent have any real collector value. As noted by @Just Bob, many have been "replated" to look uncirculated but have an unnatural shine. On original coins, the edge, which wasn't zinc coated, is dull but is shiny on the replated ones.