• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS (Fivaz & Stanton) #s On NGC Labels
1 1

24 posts in this topic

What's the reason NGC puts the FS number on some labels but not others?

On 3/28/2024 at 10:41 AM, Redline68 said:

If the submitter paid for variety attribution and it's a known NGC accepted variety, it should get the FS number.

That's what I thought.

This 2000-P Sacagawea Speared Eagle is a very well known variety.  Exactly why will NGC "NOT" put FS-901 on these labels?  NGC puts FS numbers on "MANY" other NGC labels!  Why won't they do it for this well known variety?  Maybe because PCGS does it!?!?   

My coin has already been graded and attributed as a speared eagle. I am willing to pay for the relabeling and reholdering.  Don't you think NGC is losing money on this deal??

Screenshot2024-03-28at11_31_23AM.thumb.png.c40bf85567f7c4f186a84a8ff5865ee7.pngScreenshot2023-02-01at11_56_42PM.thumb.png.c2cb043863e8f1f1354b3bda57f20b94.png

As you know that this variety is listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide as FS-901 and can easily show others (such as through the VarietyPlus listing or the Cherrypickers' Guide) itself that the "Speared Eagle" is also listed as FS-901, why do you have to pay NGC or anyone else to print this on their little paper tag? Why can't you just make you own note of this attached to or accompanying the holder and use the money saved toward buying other coins?  Sometimes in numismatics, as in most other endeavors, one just has to make use of a pen and paper.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sandon said:

As you know that this variety is listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide as FS-901 and can easily show others (such as through the VarietyPlus listing or the Cherrypickers' Guide) itself that the "Speared Eagle" is also listed as FS-901, why do you have to pay NGC or anyone else to print this on their little paper tag? Why can't you just make you own note of this attached to or accompanying the holder and use the money saved toward buying other coins?  Sometimes in numismatics, as in most other endeavors, one just has to make use of a pen and paper.

You're missing the whole point! .......pen and paper?!?!  You're kidding, right? 

I want the FS-901 number put on the label just like these.  The speared eagle is more popular and recognizable then these 3 put together.

m2il.png

ma5l.png

mail.png

On 3/28/2024 at 1:37 PM, tj96 said:

You're missing the whole point! .......pen and paper?!?!  You're kidding, right? 

I want the FS-901 number put on the label just like these.  The speared eagle is more popular and recognizable then these 3 put together.

m2il.png

ma5l.png

mail.png

You do make a convincing argument; unfortunately, I do not know the answer. All the more compelling considering all certifications are handled centrally in one U.S. office.

In my series, I noticed all of the [PCGS] coins slabbed overseas bore a standard French catalog number in contrast to the coins slabbed state-side. Two offices, two ways of doing things.

Member Sandon makes a valid point, but as a matter of curiosity I would want to know why there is no uniform system of citation in certifications.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You do make a convincing argument; unfortunately, I do not know the answer. All the more compelling considering all certifications are handled centrally in one U.S. office.

In my series, I noticed all of the [PCGS] coins slabbed overseas bore a standard French catalog number in contrast to the coins slabbed state-side. Two offices, two ways of doing things.

Member Sandon makes a valid point, but as a matter of curiosity I would want to know why there is no uniform system of citation in certifications.

Hey, stop with all the word salad and hyperbole. It doesn't make you sound smarter.  "all certifications are handled centrally in one U.S. office"..  What exactly does that mean?

If you don't know the answer, just don't reply!  Trying to make yourself sound smart isn't working. Your unintelligible feedback makes this thread worse and adds no value.  Like I said, do yourself a favor and just stay off my threads until you have something of value to add! 

On 3/28/2024 at 2:36 PM, tj96 said:

Hey, stop with all the word salad and hyperbole. It doesn't make you sound smarter.  "all certifications are handled centrally in one U.S. office"..  What exactly does that mean?

If you don't know the answer, just don't reply!  Trying to make yourself sound smart isn't working. Your unintelligible feedback makes this thread worse and adds no value.  Like I said, do yourself a favor and just stay off my threads until you have something of value to add! 

Comeback:  I was made aware only recently that NGC's submissions are made in one office, unlike PCGS.  I happen to agree with you; if I did not, I would not have had the unmitigated gall of weighing in.  (In the absence of emojis depicting lying prostrate or genuflection, I give you this:  (worship) )

On 3/28/2024 at 2:36 PM, tj96 said:

...amen...u have hammered the nail on its head...welcome to all the trash we have to endure here...u can disregard ur last thought, he never has anything of value to add...u r talking to a walking classical text book example from the DMS-5 hall of fame....

On 3/28/2024 at 5:35 PM, zadok said:

...amen...u have hammered the nail on its head...welcome to all the trash we have to endure here...u can disregard ur last thought, he never has anything of value to add...u r talking to a walking classical text book example from the DMS-5 hall of fame....

Thank you for that reality check.  I was thinking it was just me.  That guy is getting on my nerves!  Maybe he'll evaluate himself and get some self reflection.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:43 PM, tj96 said:

Thank you for that reality check.  I was thinking it was just me.  That guy is getting on my nerves!  Maybe he'll evaluate himself and get some self reflection.

...nope, he is too far gone....

On 3/28/2024 at 5:46 PM, zadok said:

...nope, he is too far gone....

🐓:  Just between you and me, you're right!  :)

I wish this forum could cut thru the BS and produce a legitimate answer.  Please, if you don't know the answer to: "What's the reason NGC puts the FS numbers on SOME labels but NOT others"....................don't reply to this thread. 

ALL the FS numbers are industry wide recognized.   And no, I'm not going to use pen and paper or make my own slab.  And please don't tell me there's no room on the labels for FS-901.  I just wish I could get a corporate answer from NGC management!

On 4/16/2024 at 10:46 AM, tj96 said:

I wish this forum could cut thru the BS and produce a legitimate answer.  Please, if you don't know the answer to: "What's the reason NGC puts the FS numbers on SOME labels but NOT others"....................don't reply to this thread. 

ALL the FS numbers are industry wide recognized.   And no, I'm not going to use pen and paper or make my own slab.  And please don't tell me there's no room on the labels for FS-901.  I just wish I could get a corporate answer from NGC management!

It depends on what nomenclature the original submitter requested. You are likely to get as FS number if an academic submitter was the original. If a slick marketer submitted it, it has a cutesy pie name. NGC had made clear that they do not support all variety designations of ANY source. 

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 4:36 PM, VKurtB said:

It depends on what nomenclature the original submitter requested. You are likely to get as FS number if an academic submitter was the original. If a slick marketer submitted it, it has a cutesy pie name. NGC had made clear that they do not support all variety designations of ANY source. 

Well, they apparently support this one.

EDIT BTW: I'm the original submitter and requester.  It was designated and requested on the submission form. 

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.02.57 PM.png

Edited by tj96

I do not slab a great deal of coins myself and I don't know if my feedback is of any value to you.  About 2 years ago I was considering sending in about a half dozen Seated coins to have specific designations added.  However, before I did, I casually asked whether they as collectors, looked for coins that were all ready labeled or whether they preferred to cherrypick such coins.  On three other coin web sites more than 20 people answered and to a man they all said they wanted to do their own cherry picking and in fact avoided coins that had all ready been labeled.  That gave me a great deal of pause because why spend what is significant money if in fact it drives away the very people you look to sell to.  I am sure this might be very different based on the type of coin or the designation that is being added.  IE  people pay more on expensive coins if the added description is there.  James; good luck

Just a guess. Maybe NGC does not want two different labels out there for the same variety. I remember when the variety got it's nickname on the coin forums. I believe that was before the variety had an FS#. Can't think of many nicknames that lasted long. 

On 4/17/2024 at 9:21 PM, ldhair said:

Just a guess. Maybe NGC does not want two different labels out there for the same variety. I remember when the variety got it's nickname on the coin forums. I believe that was before the variety had an FS#. Can't think of many nicknames that lasted long. 

As good an explanation as I've heard.  Thank you! (thumbsu

I'm not a variety guy so I have no answers to provide you, I have read your other threads here on this issue.   I assume that you know that with the exception of Mr. Lange prior to his passing representatives of NGC do not interact with forum members except for the registry and ask NGC sections of the forum.   The only advice I can give is to call NGC customer service, I have found them to be very helpful and far easier to contact than the PCGS CS reps.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not a variety guy so I have no answers to provide you, I have read your other threads here on this issue.   I assume that you know that with the exception of Mr. Lange prior to his passing representatives of NGC do not interact with forum members except for the registry and ask NGC sections of the forum.   The only advice I can give is to call NGC customer service, I have found them to be very helpful and far easier to contact than the PCGS CS reps.

PCGS CS is an oxymoron. You can’t put those concepts together. 

On 4/18/2024 at 12:28 PM, VKurtB said:

PCGS CS is an oxymoron. You can’t put those concepts together. 

...i can tell u r a single malt guy n not a blended fan....

On 4/18/2024 at 1:38 PM, zadok said:

...i can tell u r a single malt guy n not a blended fan....

Truth be told, my actual faves are high end bourbons. Something about the corn in the mash. But whatever I’m drinking, I tend to go top shelf. 

On 4/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Truth be told, my actual faves are high end bourbons. Something about the corn in the mash. But whatever I’m drinking, I tend to go top shelf. 

...yep ones u need a stool to get to....