• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1852 Russian Empire 1 Kopeck w/die issue
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've been trying to research the following 1852 (damage to date) Russian 1 Kopeck I received in an inheritance in 2022.
It's listed in Numista at
  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3960.html

It's listed in Ngccoin at
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/russia-kopek-c-149.1-1850-1855-cuid-1094997-duid-1536104

NOTE: Given that the cross at the top of the crown and the E.M. at the bottom are very clear I doubt that the MISSING "K" and very light impression of the "A" on the REVERSE are due to wear. Seems like a die issue. I've searched for this coin in a dozen different coin sites and a dozen different auction house sale prices, but I could not find a single coin that was anywhere close re: the missing "K" on the reverse. Admittedly I do not have "subscription" services to search these houses. I think this implies a good deal of rarity to this coin irregularity?

Hopefully members can help me answer a few questions...
1) Is this considered a mint error or just a worn / broken die issue?
2) What grade would you give this coin?
3) What do you think is the "retail" and the "wholesale" value of this coin given this irregularity?
4) The large difference in $ values of Numista and Ngccoin are disturbing...thoughts on this?

Thank you for your assistance,

Mark

Russia_1_Kopeck_1852_1.JPG

Russia_1_Kopeck_1852_2.JPG

I am Russian myself and have coins similar to this but from what I can see there it just looks like normal damage. However the age of when it was made makes it somewhat questionable of the tactics that were used back then, and further details would have to be analyzed to determine if that was a mint mistake.

The most likely explanation is that metal dust and grease built up in the first "K" eventually clogging the letter. (Compacted material can be nearly as hard as the die.) It's called a "filled letter" error and is more a curiosity than anything searched for by collectors.

The Yekaterinburg [Екатеринбург] mint ( "EM" ) produced about 14 million 1-kopek pieces in 1852. Yours is heavily worn and might be worth $1-$2. Pieces from the Warsaw mint ( "BM" ) are scarce and worth a little more, but there is minimal interest in circulated pieces.

Edited by RWB

All,

Slightly disappointing since I thought the "filled letter" error would make it much more valuable.

In any case thank you both for the information you provided.

...mark

The “graffiti” (cuts and gouges) takes the value down some.