• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1819 9 over 8 Liberty Head Large Cent Large Letters. Lets confirm...see coin..
1 1

6 posts in this topic

image.thumb.png.596cfdef62a26c43383a7121cb5269fd.pngMy coin:18199over8LrgdateLibertyHeadLargeCentXF40.thumb.jpg.8be09a72ea97782827183f78b347fd61.jpg 1819-9-over-8-coronet-head-large-cent.jpg.254f67daff825c7d2bfb40f737589902.jpg     Variety Exemplar                                                                                                                                                                            My coin :18199over8LrgdateLibertyHeadLargeCentXF402.thumb.jpg.49a557033c83eec3691cc72d4cb60274.jpg

pmao75nv.png

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Yes, this does appear to be the 1819, 9 over 8 "Redbook" variety (N1), although some of Newcomb's diagnostics are obscured by corrosion.  All Matron Head cents before 1829 have large letters.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:05 PM, Sandon said:

Yes, this does appear to be the 1819, 9 over 8 "Redbook" variety (N1), although some of Newcomb's diagnostics are obscured by corrosion.  All Matron Head cents before 1829 have large letters.

I have been having a hell of a time seeing the ghosted impressions of the flattened 8 because of this light surface corrosion. I do see however the mis-shaped 9 as well as the lower 8 remnant. I wanted others' opinions on this variety. Thank you.

Somebody wanted others' opinions?  Careful what you ask for!  Here's mine. (Yes, a little levity is coming.) :roflmao:

Firstly, there are three stages to this coin: "spinster," "matron," and "dowager."  Call me dated if you wish but, date and diagnostics, notwithstanding, this is a "dowager."

Secondly, there is nothing noteworthy or remarkable about the first three digits, but the fourth is special: it is clearly challenging viewers: "go ahead, make my day. I dare you to "hit me, right here!"  Now THIS is an interesting variety. :whistle: This is the first time I have ever seen a coin wait two centuries to mock all comers!  You can't put a premium on that.  It's priceless. That's my take.  :makepoint:   doh!   :facepalm:

Well, this coin has not been recognized as a N1 9 over 8 prior to my examination of this raw coin. So it has taken a long time for someone to see this and properly identify it. It's been floating around soulless in the wind for 205 lonely years. Now it will be encapsulated and put in my typeset.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:56 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Well, this coin has not been recognized as a N1 9 over 8 prior to my examination of this raw coin. So it has taken a long time for someone to see this and properly identify it. It's been floating around soulless in the wind for 205 lonely years. Now it will be encapsulated and put in my typeset.

I don't want to seem ungrateful but I would not hesitate giving anyone my [broken] left leg for the privilege of owning a unique, visually provocative coin like that. Great acquisition!