• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defective 1907-O or 1908-O halves ?

5 posts in this topic

Is anyone aware of aware of defective or odd 1907-O or 1908-O half dollars? Some newly located mint documents indicate that a complete delivery was ordered destroyed due to poor quality, but that the coins went out anyway.

I have read of these dates being particularly subject to die buckling giving the appearance of Liberty having "mumps".  David Lawrence wrote that the 1907-O was "p]robably the worst struck coin in the Barber half series, but does come with nice luster. 'Mumps' specimens are fairly common and most exaggerated in this date."  D. Lawrence, The Complete Guide to Barber Halves (1991) at p.77.  Lawrence also commented regarding the 1908-O that "'[m]umps specimens are not unusual." Id. at p. 81.

I hope that this helps.

Edited by Sandon
"usual" in fourth line should have been "unusual"

Posted (edited)

Thanks! We've finally gotten the 1907 and 1908 presscopy letters digitized and can now check for more information. Director Leach said in a March 1908 letter that "This work is very discredible to the service..."

Have located the initial delivery and possible cause -- not related to the die.

Edited by RWB

Info will be published in my bi-weekly Coin Week column.

(The Barber Collectors' Group also has permission to reprint it in their newsletter later in the year.)