• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington Jackson Paquet Silver Medalet under glass
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I’m pretty sure I’ve identified this as a 1862 Washington Jackson Paquet Silver Medalet. It has been made into a watch fob I think. It’s incased in glass which I’m sure has kept it in good shape. I’m looking to sell this and my question is whether it is more valuable if it’s removed and then graded or kept intact. Thanks for any help

IMG_7494.jpeg

IMG_7495.jpeg

I cannot tell if the item you have is genuine from your photos or not.   However, low/mid mint state graded examples of this medalet have in the past few years been selling at auction for around the $200-$250 range.   Assuming yours is genuine, in most cases jewelry mounts like this one yours is in typically leave marks on the coin and such pieces are quite often given a details grade when submitted to a TPG.   Items in details holders usually sell at a discount to non details coins/medals.

I personally would leave it as is and attempt to sell it for $125-$150, if you get no takers then I might decide to take the gamble and remove it from the holder and see if it could be straight graded.

If this is the medal designed by Anthony Paquet, his initials (or on some, just a single "P") should be on the bottom of the bust, next to his ponytail. Good job with the identification. (thumbsu

I like Coinbuf's suggestion of trying to sell it as-is. I would list it with all of the variety designations - Musante GW-448, Baker-223A, Julian PR-29 -and let someone else have the trouble and expense of getting it graded.

Here is a link to past auction prices, just to give you an idea of what others have sold for in the past. Keep in mind that these were all authenticated and graded by either PCGS or NGC:

Click me

This was a common item from the US Mint's medal list in the 19th century. Personally, I feel it's not worth half the quoted auction sale prices except in original condition. In the base metal fob, it's an antique store novelty.