• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Gold too High to Buy Now?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

It can feel a bit overwhelming when the prices seem high. Honestly, I think it depends on your goals. If you see gold as a long-term investment or a way to hedge against inflation, it might still be worth considering, even at a higher price. People find value in gold during uncertain times so that it can be a safe bet. Also, remember how different investments have influenced larry ellison net worth over time. Diversification is critical, so consider where to put your money and how gold fits into that plan.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

Looks like you snuck in, not three (3) hours ago!

I wish I had quoted a spot figure when I started this topic... only 5 months ago.

What I was hoping for, speaking for myself, never happened.  I collect Fr20FrcGRs and figured gold being hoarded by some, would encourage them to come out of the woodwork and engage in a little profit-taking.  That DID happen but not in my niche.

There are 83 Set Registrants here and less than 10 on the West coast, all of whom feel stagnated. As the Honorable VKurtB observed (speaking broadly) it is not exactly a cheap pursuit.  He was right then, and it only makes me wonder how he feels about it now.

Being new, the terms and outsized personalities may be a little confusing, but you'll pick things up as you move along.

My Set, for all intents and purposes, is complete. But I do wonder how the scores of collectors of my series are faring. Supply has virtually dried up.

One important note: the gold content of the coins I collect are just under 1/5 of an ounce, but with melt value steadily approaching the $500/oz t. milestone, collectors like me who are well into upgrading will have to wait that much longer.

To be fair about it, I guess it is all relative. Those who have been all-in, are sitting pretty right now.  Newcomers "may" have to reconsider what coin they should start collecting. Of course, historically, that's been the history of gold from the very beginning.  Whether it is "too high" depends on what your short- and long-term goals are.  

Presently, gold, again, is flirting with the $2500./ oz t.marker, and silver is doing the same at just under $30./oz t.

Great question!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die poloishing

On 8/19/2024 at 6:01 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

Looks like you snuck in, not three (3) hours ago!

I wish I had quoted a spot figure when I started this topic... only 5 months ago.

What I was hoping for, speaking for myself, never happened.  I collect Fr20FrcGRs and figured gold being hoarded by some, would encourage them to come out of the woodwork and engage in a little profit-taking.  That DID happen but not in my niche.

There a 83 Set Registrants here and less than 10 on the West coast, all of whom feel stagnated. As the Honorable VKurtB observed (speaking broadly) it is not exactly a cheap pursuit.  He was right then, and it only makes me wonder how he feels about it now.

Being new, the terms and outsized personalities may be a little confusing, but you'll pick things up as you move along.

My Set, for all intents and purposes, is complete. But I do wonder how the scores of collectors of my series are faring. Supply has virtually dried up.

One important note: the gold content of the coins I collect are just under 1/5 of an ounce, but with melt value steadily approaching the $500/oz t. milestone, collectors like me who are well into upgrading will have to wait that much longer.

To be fair about it, I guess it is all relative. Those who have been all-in, are sitting pretty right now.  Newcomers "may" have to reconsider what coin they should start collecting. Of course, historically, that's been the history of gold from the very beginning.  Whether it is "too high" depends on what your short- and long-term goals are.  

Presently, gold, again, is flirting with the $2500./ oz t. mile marker, and silver is doing the same at just under $30./oz t.

Great question!

Gold and silver can go as high as they like. At these levels, I’ll never be buying any coin whose value is bullion price defined. I’m out. I’ll stick with stocks and bonds. In coins, it’s all base metal or rarity priced silver. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/19/2024 at 3:39 AM, DoroDoro said:

It can feel a bit overwhelming when the prices seem high. Honestly, I think it depends on your goals. If you see gold as a long-term investment or a way to hedge against inflation, it might still be worth considering, even at a higher price. People find value in gold during uncertain times so that it can be a safe bet. Also, remember how different investments have influenced larry ellison net worth over time. Diversification is critical, so consider where to put your money and how gold fits into that plan.

Gold is NOT an investment.  It's a speculation at best and quite frankly if you hold it for many years (or decades) I don't think it will beat stocks, and maybe not even bonds and/or real estate.

However....unlike those paper assets, you can physically OWN and HOLD and TOUCH gold.  You can collect and "invest" in coins.  One can derive a certain pleasure from a beautiful fully-lustrous Saint-Gaudens in MS-66 or maybe even MS-67. (thumbsu

As for the decision to buy after a decent run-up....buy a bit now, if it goes higher you got SOME lower in price...if it falls, buy more. (thumbsu Most people have trouble doing that, however, even if it was what they planned and hoped for.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Posted (edited)

Not to crow about it, but I began collecting earnestly in 2019.  Fr20FrGR could be had for well under $300.  You're lucky if you can get one for just under $500.  As incredible as it may sound, all of my roosters are worth a lot more than when I bought them for.

I really couldn't care less what they are worth. My goal was to complete a set. Then I realized encapsulation was necessary because I do not want to explain a coin's perceived attributes and deficits.  I upgraded but being the impatient, abject failure that I am, I bailed out after I exhausted the availability of grades.  Awhile back, I asked @Walkerfan whom I assumed had expended a great deal of time, effort and money to complete his set, whether he would jump back in if another member surpassed his rating by a very small margin, and he said, "probably."

My set represents a sustained five-year erffort.  I would not be appeased by anyone telling me, " Who cares? You're still in the Top Ten." Does anyone in their right mind truly believe I would be satisfied being "Second Rate?"  Fat chance!  Ain't gonna happen. Don't believe me? Watch. A coin collector's "job" is never done.  And when mine is, I'll buy food and clothes -- any maybe some ice cream.  

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.