• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins were minted within the past 100 Years?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

You may cheat if you like, but ideally, off the top of your head, take a guess, then take a look.

@Fenntucky Mike posted a topic on it and wonders whether a contemplated 6th Edition is necessary. He has helpfully provided a link to the lists as featured in the most recent editions as compiled by Jeff Garrett.

You may draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add added info.

As noted on a related-subject thread.  Only 3 coins were deemed to be contenders for the 100 Greatest U.S. coins in the past 100 years; none are in circulation, presently.

Wow, initially I would have thought 10-15.(thumbsu

Then upon further reflection, I realized that alot of the coins from the early-1900's like the MCMVII UHR and HR would be outside the 100 year period.  Still, 3 coins is MUCH lower than I would have thought.  Guess no special coins from the 1930's onward.

They didn't include the 1927-D and 1933 Saints, huh ? :|

On 3/6/2024 at 4:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Can someone post the complete list here ? (thumbsu

No need to do that.  @Fenntucky Mike has the link on his "100 Greatest U.S. Coins" post with the complete lists from both the 5th and 4th Editions.

Read 'em and weep.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Then upon further reflection, I realized that alot of the coins from the early-1900's like the MCMVII UHR and HR would be outside the 100 year period.  Still, 3 coins is MUCH lower than I would have thought.  Guess no special coins from the 1930's onward.

...surely u jest?....

On 3/6/2024 at 6:02 PM, zadok said:

...surely u jest?....

I think both those coins should have been included, JMHO.  Rarest regularly-issued coin....coin with the story of the 1933.  Both deserving. (thumbsu

I just looked at the 100 list.....they have the 2009 UHR there but no other Saint !!  No classic MSDs, either.  No coins from 1800's......:(

It's too modern a list.  They should have a list for moderns AND classics.

On 3/6/2024 at 6:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think both those coins should have been included, JMHO.  Rarest regularly-issued coin....coin with the story of the 1933.  Both deserving. (thumbsu

I just looked at the 100 list.....they have the 2009 UHR there but no other Saint !!  No classic MSDs, either.  No coins from 1800's......:(

It's too modern a list.  They should have a list for moderns AND classics.

...the operative word is "greatest", in actuality there isnt anything great about saints nor most of the other coins u list...maybe u r thinking about a list of "nice" coins to own?....

On 3/6/2024 at 3:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Hello? Is this thing on?

#5 1933 DE

#11 1943 Bronze Cent

#36 1933 Eagle

#58 1927-D DE

#71 1955 Doubled Die Cent

#86 1974 Aluminum Cents

Sounds like six to me.

On 3/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Hello? Is this thing on?

#5 1933 DE

#11 1943 Bronze Cent

#36 1933 Eagle

#58 1927-D DE

#71 1955 Doubled Die Cent

#86 1974 Aluminum Cents

Sounds like six to me.

Correctamundo, Kurt!

My apologies to the membership.

Whether they can be found in circulation, or not, is besides the point.  They were determined, either by the Moai of Easter Island in eastern Polynesia or by other gods on high, to be the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins.

We are all duty-bound to respect that [and I need to brush up on my reading skills].  🤣

On 3/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Hello? Is this thing on? #5 1933 DE  #11 1943 Bronze Cent  #36 1933 Eagle #58 1927-D DE #71 1955 Doubled Die Cent #86 1974 Aluminum Cents Sounds like six to me.

I may have pulled up a wrong link. :frustrated:  Re-checking.....

On 3/6/2024 at 7:12 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Correctamundo, Kurt!

My apologies to the membership.

Whether they can be found in circulation, or not, is besides the point.  They were determined, either by the Moai of Easter Island in eastern Polynesia or by other gods on high, to be the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins.

We are all duty-bound to respect that [and I need to brush up on my reading skills].  🤣

Like everything else in this hobby, these Top 100 lists are 100% opinion and nothing more. 

On 3/6/2024 at 9:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Like everything else in this hobby, these Top 100 lists are 100% opinion and nothing more. 

You are not suggesting the Moai are fallible, are you?  🤣

On 3/6/2024 at 9:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You are not suggesting the Moai are fallible, are you?  🤣

Oh c’mon. We’re talking numismatics here. Fallible is the most benign thing going on. Fallible is comforting. Fallible is warm and fuzzy. This field is awash in outright lying, complete with malice.

Edited by VKurtB