• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100 Greatest U.S. Coins, Book.
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I was just reading Garrett's latest NGC article and in it he writes about putting together a 6th edition of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins book to be released in the fall and I can't help but wonder is there really a demand for a sixth edition?

In the article he lists the coins in the 4th & 5th editions and it only looks like there are a handful that were not in one edition when compared to the other, the order in which they were ranked is different but little else, are collectors clamoring for another edition of the same coins?

He also laments the possible inclusion of condition rarities in the next edition, would U.S. collectors like to see condition rarities take the place of some of the coins currently in the 5th edition?

Will a new edition boost sales enough to justify publishing it?

Will Garrett change up the current format enough to make it interesting to people who already have an earlier edition?

What changes would you like to see made and included in the 6th edition? 

Is there another book that would have wide collector appeal that should be published instead of this?

These are just a few questions that popped in my head while reading the article and was curious what others thought. 

Link to the article. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/12698/ 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:24 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I was just reading Garrett's latest NGC article and in it he writes about putting together a 6th edition of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins book to be released in the fall and I can't help but wonder is there really a demand for a sixth edition?

rantrant   Your topic and post inspired me to post a related thread provocatively posed as a pointed question.  

There is a refrain from an old Janet Jackson number which expressed the disappointments and lamentations of a number of members who took that recent quiz regarding what coin designs they would like to see resurrected on future coins.. That refrain, as paraphrased, went "what-have-you-done-for-[us]-late-ly?  

Here's an idea. I do not know if the Federal Reporters and Supplements are still being published in bound volumes or are now on-line, but the state's Penal Law and Criminal Procedure Law are updated yearly with stapled revisions which are simply slipped into a back "pocket."  The main volumes are published only when growing supplements are two unwieldy to insert and handle. The paper inserts, outdated, are discarded.

Maybe that's what should be done here. Go ahead and maintain the latest edition, but issue supplements to complement the text.

How many significant changes justify the expense of re-ordering a line-up? (Personally, I don't believe 100 is necessary) But the answer to the question of my topic is damning: three. Only THREE coins minted in the past 100 years made the 100 Greatest U.S. coins list.  That speaks volumes. The hobby is divided between collectors and investors. How many of the Greatest Coins can be found in change?  

I was just reading Garrett's latest NGC article and in it he writes about putting together a 6th edition of the 100 Greatest U.S. Coins book to be released in the fall and I can't help but wonder is there really a demand for a sixth edition?  Is there another book that would have wide collector appeal that should be published instead of this? These are just a few questions that popped in my head while reading the article and was curious what others thought.   Link to the article. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/12698/ 

Good thoughts and questions, Mike. 

I don't have the book so I have to assume there's enough publishing demand that merits a 6th Edition.  The advantage of a book like this is it has the favorite coins of lots of different collectors so you increase the demand from collectors of Eagles, Double Eagles, Morgans, Barbers, Lincolns, etc.

When were the 4th and 5th editions published ?

Is there another book that would have wide collector appeal that should be published instead of this?

I'm biased, but I really want to see the Whitman Red Book on Double Eagles get a 2nd Edition -- the first was way back in 2004.  This book has information year-by-year on both the Liberty Head DE and Saint-Gaudens DE series.  I don't know of another good Liberty Head book (the other Liberty Head DE book by Bowers isn't really an annual review of that year's coins but an annual financial/economic/cultural review).  So much has happened in 20 years that the commentary sections and the data/price/certification totals could really use an update.

Roger's magnus opus on Saints is spectacular, but at 600+ pages it's alot for a beginner gold or Saints collector to commit too, unfortunately.  We die-hards love the book but not sure the casual collector will invest the time in reading it.  Unfortunately ! :(

And again, it's only on Saints not Liberty Heads.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/5/2024 at 1:18 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm biased, but I really want to see the Whitman Red Book on Double Eagles get a 2nd Edition -- the first was way back in 2004.  This book has information year-by-year on both the Liberty Head DE and Saint-Gaudens DE series.  I don't know of another good Liberty Head book (the other Liberty Head DE book by Bowers isn't really an annual review of that year's coins but an annual financial/economic/cultural review).  So much has happened in 20 years that the commentary sections and the data/price/certification totals could really use an update.

Isn't most of that covered and updated yearly in the Official Red Book? I think that another edition would only be justified if there were major additions or amendments that needed to happen, the yearly price, data, and small blurbs can be covered by the Official Red Book. Same goes for the 100 greatest U.S. coins, if you're barely going to change the list why bother? 

Information may surface between editions, but is it really worth publishing a new edition for the small amount of new information? If the new information was significant - maybe, but condition rarities - no thanks. 

On 3/5/2024 at 7:13 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Isn't most of that covered and updated yearly in the Official Red Book? I think that another edition would only be justified if there were major additions or amendments that needed to happen, the yearly price, data, and small blurbs can be covered by the Official Red Book. Same goes for the 100 greatest U.S. coins, if you're barely going to change the list why bother? 

If you mean the Annual Official Red Book of all coins....it just has some sketchy price estimates for a few grades for all the coins, including the DEs.  There is maybe 1/2 page or so talking about the coin series covering the entire mintage over many years -- basically, nothing. :(

The Whitman Red Book on Double Eagles has about 1/2 page on every DE by mint/year....Liberty Head or Saint-Gaudens.....so tons more information.  And the pricing for commons for all those years was based on the gold price at the time of publication which was about $400...doing it NOW for $2,000 would be light-years better even if they don't do a complex and detailed price matrix or analysis like Roger did for his book.

One Interesting Thing: In the bio for Bowers page, it says that an expanded version of the book with much more detailed historical and numismatic information (sans prices) will be available to professionals, researchers, numismatists, etc.  I don't know if anything ever came of that but it sounds like all the stuff Bowers and Whitman cut out but which I think would have been -- and might still be -- of interest to Double Eagle collectors.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:16 PM, Zebo said:

Information may surface between editions, but is it really worth publishing a new edition for the small amount of new information? If the new information was significant - maybe, but condition rarities - no thanks. 

I think Guide Books can be updated even with only new price information....but for the DE book, I think enough has happened that makes a 2nd Edition even more worthwhile.  The stories that are new....the additional information on hoards and shipwrecks...the gold price...the certification totals, esp. in the higher grades.  I think this is worthy of a new edition (and again, this is the only book that covers ALL DEs year-by-year).

I believe it is the only Whitman Official Red Book that hasn't gotten a 2nd edition ? :(

On 3/5/2024 at 3:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you mean the Annual Official Red Book of all coins....it just has some sketchy price estimates for a few grades for all the coins, including the DEs.  There is maybe 1/2 page or so talking about the coin series covering the entire mintage over many years -- basically, nothing. :(

The Whitman Red Book on Double Eagles has about 1/2 page on every DE by mint/year....Liberty Head or Saint-Gaudens.....so tons more information.  And the pricing for commons for all those years was based on the gold price at the time of publication which was about $400...doing it NOW for $2,000 would be light-years better even if they don't do a complex and detailed price matrix or analysis like Roger did for his book.

One Interesting Thing: In the bio for Bowers page, it says that an expanded version of the book with much more detailed historical and numismatic information (sans prices) will be available to professionals, researchers, numismatists, etc.  I don't know if anything ever came of that but it sounds like all the stuff Bowers and Whitman cut out but which I think would have been -- and might still be -- of interest to Double Eagle collectors.

Yep, I was talking about the Annual Official Red Book. 

A 2nd edition of the DE book sounds more warranted and interesting than a 6th edition of the 100 greatest U.S. coins, not sure that it will have a wide enough audience though to justify publishing a 2nd edition. 

On 3/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  You know what this means don't you?

Q.A.:  Yup, a book on gold roosters is but a pipe dream. When we're long gone it'll be every collector for himself. 

Maybe you should write a book. 

On 3/5/2024 at 5:02 PM, Zebo said:

Maybe you should write a book. 

I am afraid that won't be necessary.  The French "Red Book" covers the entire series in a single page. One-half page devoted to the "Originals," another half to the "Restrikes."  Their story may be encapsulated in an adaptation of the Latin words attributed to Julius Caesar:  "VENI. VIDI. VICI." They came, they saw, they conquered. [And then they were gone.]

On 3/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A 2nd edition of the DE book sounds more warranted and interesting than a 6th edition of the 100 greatest U.S. coins, not sure that it will have a wide enough audience though to justify publishing a 2nd edition. 

Different publishers, I'll bet. (thumbsu

If the 100 Greatest can sell enough books, they'll do a new edition.  The Official Red Book folks do a new one every year and they must sell enough new ones each year to make it profitable.

@Fenntucky Mike :  Take solace in the fact that the market will be the Final Arbiter, irrespective of our individual opinions.

Now @GoldFinger1969 has raised an interesting point. A generation of collectors have come and gone. The dedicated book on just DEs may be just what's needed to drum up interest in a hobby that hasn't been updated in reference form in a generation.  You never know what may strike the fancy of  post baby-boomer generations flush with cash, not to be mention trust babies now largely gown up.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:46 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am afraid that won't be necessary.  The French "Red Book" covers the entire series in a single page. One-half page devoted to the "Originals," another half to the "Restrikes."  Their story may be encapsulated in an adaptation of the Latin words attributed to Julius Caesar:  "VENI. VIDI. VICI." They came, they saw, they conquered. [And then they were gone.]

You should see if the French Central Bank has some publications or internal communications on Roosters, French monetary policy, etc.

France's role in The Great Depression has gotten alot more attention in the last 30 years.  I just ordered GOLDEN FETTERS by Barry Eichengreen. (thumbsu  Lots more coverage on gold flows (and maybe gold coins like Roosters ?) between the citizenry and the CBs.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/6/2024 at 3:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You should see if the French Central Bank has some publications or internal communications on Roosters, French monetary policy, etc.

France's role in The Great Depression has gotten alot more attention in the last 30 years.  I just ordered GOLDEN FETTERS by Barry Eichengreen. (thumbsu  Lots more coverage on gold flows (and maybe gold coins like Roosters ?) between the citizenry and the CBs.

...u r going into the deep end of the kool-aid pool...u need to get out more....

On 3/6/2024 at 3:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Looks like an interesting book. Will wait for the review.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:24 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

In the article he lists the coins in the 4th & 5th editions and it only looks like there are a handful that were not in one edition when compared to the other, the order in which they were ranked is different but little else, are collectors clamoring for another edition of the same coins?

He also laments the possible inclusion of condition rarities in the next edition, would U.S. collectors like to see condition rarities take the place of some of the coins currently in the 5th edition?

Will a new edition boost sales enough to justify publishing it?

Will Garrett change up the current format enough to make it interesting to people who already have an earlier edition?

What changes would you like to see made and included in the 6th edition? 

These are just a few questions that popped in my head while reading the article and was curious what others thought. 

Link to the article. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/12698/ 

If they write about rare coins, then there will definitely be a demand for it.

Edited by kevinhamiltongsk

On 3/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A major update and expansion of Bower's DE book would be of value to collectors and those who buy/sell coins. However, it will require substantial work, much time, and is guaranteed not make money. A "100 Kutest Koins" book of pretty pictures and superficial text can be assembled in a few weeks, requires no research, and will be profitable.

Which will happen first....?

On 3/9/2024 at 8:57 AM, Zebo said:

Haven't read a page yet, just bought a good/new copy because they disappear as they're in limited supply.  Look at what happened with Roger's book -- I can't buy a copy for my uncle. 

Probably summer reading....want to re-read the Whitman Red Books on DEs, FMTM, RWB's Saints book -- all a 2nd time.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I bought the first edition, I think.  I haven't looked at any new ones.

The main critique I had of the one I own is that it has too many die varieties included of expensive coins.  Yes, these are Red Book varieties, but so what?

Narrowing it down to now include condition census coins is an absurdity.

If the authors really need or choose to do that, then it sounds like they are looking for reasons to publish a new edition. Coins don't become "great" from a holder label because it's not an actual attribute of the coin.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:57 AM, Zebo said:

Ben Bernanke wrote one, it's online.  I highlighted some thoughts in the RWB Saints Thread. (thumbsu