• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

possible rare penny
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I used to work at a gastation for around 10 years and did metal detecting for last 40 years or so. I have recieved a 1965 lincoln cent that apears to be struck in a silver color , though it is not magnetic any ideas would be apreciated.

1000007002.jpg

1000007003.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that the NGC Registry forum is for topics pertaining to the NGC certified coin registry.  For best attention, questions like yours should be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.  

Your 1965 Lincoln cent is not a mint error or a rare coin.  It has been plated or perhaps painted with a shiny, silvery substance, as I understand was frequently done years ago in high school chemistry labs or for sale as a novelty. You can see the underlying copper showing through where the plating has worn off in several places on each side.

Welcome to the Chat Board

Agree, just a plated CENT, not rare. We see these about once a week.  
As Sandon stated, probably a high school science experiment.

In the future, please orient your pictures the right way.