• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 D penny
1 1

4 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2024 at 3:10 PM, rcathey855 said:

2021 D penny from bank roll should I get it graded.

IMG_2024-02-29-18-49-15-646.jpg

IMG_2024-02-29-18-49-39-084.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

The coin is damaged and you should NOT send it in for grading. The copper plating at the rim, and I suspect edge, is gone, it looks to be an early stage dryer coin. Doesn't necessarily matter by what means the coin was damaged, just know that it did not come from the mint looking like that.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  The "Coin Marketplace" forum is devoted to topics containing offers to buy or sell coins, in accordance with the "Coin Marketplace Guidelines" posted near the top of the forum.  Topics like yours should be posted in and receive better attention in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions."

I assume that by your question you mean, "Should I submit this coin to a third-party grading service such as NGC?" The answer is a definite NO!

You "get a coin graded" by studying and referring to a grading guide and, with experience, forming a reasonable opinion of the coin's grade yourself.  If you determine that the likely grade and other characteristics of the coin would cause it to have a sufficient market value (at least several hundred dollars, in my opinion) to make it worth the cost of submission, then and only then should you even consider submitting it to a grading service. In the case of a 2021-D Lincoln cent submitted to NGC, that cost would include, in addition to a paid NGC membership (at least $95 per year), a $19 "Modern tier" grading fee, a $10 per order processing fee, a $28 per order return shipping fee, and your cost of shipping the coin to NGC.

Very few if any 2021-D cents (over 4 billion minted) would be worth the cost of third-party grading at this time. The NGC Price Guide does not show a market value for them in any grade. Your coin, which I assume you found in a mixed roll of cents, has scrapes on the rims, exposing its zinc core, and is consequently a damaged coin worth its face value of one cent. Even if it were not scraped, it is lightly circulated and has lost part of its mint color and would still be worth face value. 

If you are interested in collecting U.S. coins, please see the following topics to obtain the necessary resources to learn about them: