• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seattle Mint, 1907

13 posts in this topic

Interestingly, only six years later (1913) the Federal Reserve Bank comprising 12 districts was set up and though they presumably have served the country well in the 100+ years they have been around, three were established in cities with Mints -- Philadelphia, New York and San Francisco (Denver was skipped) it appears Seattle was either not considered, or considered but not chosen. (There are also 24 branches, which I was unaware of, but know not where they are situated.)

Nice find, Roger!  I am not a psycholinguist but the Director's intimate familiarity and grasp of Mint operations is evident in the confidence he exudes in addressing a member of the President's cabinet in writing.  (thumbsu

P.S.  Numismatics embraces a wide range of endeavors from the guys in business suits sitting in climate-controlled boardrooms dictating policy, men doing grunt work deep in the bowels of institutions amid dusty stacks -- and even humble coin collectors sharing their fondness of proof die cracks with fellow members. It takes all types to make a hobby run like a well-oiled machine.  I appreciate the fruits of Roger's labor and NGC for permitting him to showcase his wares.

Frank Leach was one of the best qualified people to be mint director. Another was Henry Linderman, and another was Robert Preston. All had long term experience, intelligence and good judgement. Several other directors developed into outstanding inhabitants of the office including Nellie Ross, George Roberts, and Robert Wooley.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Interestingly, only six years later (1913) the Federal Reserve Bank comprising 12 districts was set up and though they presumably have served the country well in the 100+ years they have been around, three were established in cities with Mints -- Philadelphia, New York and San Francisco (Denver was skipped) it appears Seattle was either not considered, or considered but not chosen. (There are also 24 branches, which I was unaware of, but know not where they are situated.)

These districts largely followed the old sub-Treasury pattern. A. Piatt Andrew (later mint director and asst sec treasury) was secretary to the commission and was instrumental in devising the organization.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Nice find, Roger!  I am not a psycholinguist but the Director's intimate familiarity and grasp of Mint operations is evident in the confidence he exudes in addressing a member of the President's cabinet in writing.  (thumbsu

P.S.  Numismatics embraces a wide range of endeavors from the guys in business suits sitting in climate-controlled boardrooms dictating policy, men doing grunt work deep in the bowels of institutions amid dusty stacks -- and even humble coin collectors sharing their fondness of proof die cracks with fellow members. It takes all types to make a hobby run like a well-oiled machine.  I appreciate the fruits of Roger's labor and NGC for permitting him to showcase his wares.

...New York mint...who knew?....

On 3/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, zadok said:

...New York mint...who knew?....

I stand corrected.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:17 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I stand corrected.

West Point? Close.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:53 PM, VKurtB said:

West Point? Close.

Not close enough, alas. I was distracted by Chase Manhattan's secret tunnel, the FRB, the NYAO, Federal Hall, J.P. Morgan's Bank, the old FNCB and the NYSE.  My uncle z's comment was short and merciful.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:29 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think it was an assay office, right ?

Correct. Never a Mint. I was in it only once to redeem my silver certificates for a bag of silver granules back in '67.  The building still stands, but has since been subsumed by an office tower.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:53 PM, VKurtB said:

West Point? Close.

...not close at all, just more q.a. incessant babble bout things he knows nothing about...no govt minting facility at west point in 1913...west point facility started limited functions in 1937ish....

On 3/5/2024 at 5:29 PM, Henri Charriere said:

...yr rejoinder reminds me of the time I walked out of a store late at nite in Central Harlem and a gentleman with three rambunctious children, not looking where he was going, obliquely blindsided me. I apologized. He said, "Blood clot, that not good e-NUF!" I asked him what would be.  With a straight face, he replied, in substance, [not bumping into him in the first place]!... 

I conceded my error in my reply to the Hon. VKurtB, upthread. Have you ever gotten around to citing chapter and verse, as asked, regarding the matter of FedEx insuring numismatic collectibles on that other thread?  I didn't think so.

Posted at the discretion of Moderation.

...sadder still...so classic, text book....

On 3/5/2024 at 7:33 PM, zadok said:

...sadder still...so classic, text book....

Have you a valid license to practice?  🤣