• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last 50 Year Last Century Coins
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 7:18 PM, Errorists said:

are still referred to as modern coins. Will they still be referred to as such next century? TYVM.

There are a few variables to consider...

To me, the Modern era in the USA began with the recall of silver and the introduction of clad coinage.

For some, obsolete coins and currency provide a line in the sand.

In some countries, when Arabic was retired in favor of modern languages, that became the turning point.

To Europeans, I would imagine the introduction of Euros provides the demarcation line.

While I wouldn't say there is universal agreement and acceptance as to what constitutes modern, it is left to influential people, publishers, institutions-- and individual countries to make the call and distinction.

Keep in mind that at the very first meeting of the American Numismatic Association, all Barber coinage was undoubtedly dismissed as “that modern junk”. To me, either one does or does not respect coins equally. I choose to give all of them the respect they deserve, mostly decided by CONDITION, not metallurgy, and CERTAINLY not based on nation of issue.

For me, 1964 serves as a line of demarcation for ONE THING ONLY - the year the Beatles came to New York to do the Ed Sullivan show. Well…, two actually. A neat World’s Fair out in Flushing. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/29/2024 at 8:24 AM, VKurtB said:

Keep in mind that at the very first meeting of the American Numismatic Association, all Barber coinage was undoubtedly dismissed as “that modern junk”. To me, either one does or does not respect coins equally. I choose to give all of them the respect they deserve, mostly decided by CONDITION, not metallurgy, and CERTAINLY not based on nation of issue.

For me, 1964 serves as a line of demarcation for ONE THING ONLY - the year the Beatles came to New York to do the Ed Sullivan show. Well…, two actually. A neat World’s Fair out in Flushing. 

...as forrest mite say..."modern is as modern does"...terms like "modern" or "present" unlimited interpretations, is whatever one wants it to be...there is no association or body to exercise determination on what is or isn't nor is there any one person who determines what is or isn't a "specimen" or a "presentation coin" or for that matter a "branch mint proof" ...who gets to determine what is a "proof" coin anyways? someone who compiles books? one gov't over another?...its just an ego thing, more of a merchandise enhancement technique than what the hobby started out as...not an absolute line of demarcation but 1964 was one of impact for several diff reasons and the hobby reflects that n certain coins produced in the US that year were distributed differently regardless of what certain persons like to maintain...

On 2/29/2024 at 9:32 AM, zadok said:

...as forrest mite say..."modern is as modern does"...terms like "modern" or "present" unlimited interpretations, is whatever one wants it to be...there is no association or body to exercise determination on what is or isn't nor is there any one person who determines what is or isn't a "specimen" or a "presentation coin" or for that matter a "branch mint proof" ...who gets to determine what is a "proof" coin anyways? someone who compiles books? one gov't over another?...its just an ego thing, more of a merchandise enhancement technique than what the hobby started out as...not an absolute line of demarcation but 1964 was one of impact for several diff reasons and the hobby reflects that n certain coins produced in the US that year were distributed differently regardless of what certain persons like to maintain...

How about a 2019 “Snowman” 50p struck 4 times on a medal press by myself? Can that be a Specimen strike? Or do  I have to type it up on a typewriter and stick it in a NARA box?

On 2/29/2024 at 1:38 PM, VKurtB said:

How about a 2019 “Snowman” 50p struck 4 times on a medal press by myself? Can that be a Specimen strike? Or do  I have to type it up on a typewriter and stick it in a NARA box?

...as long as u had a reason to strike it n a sticky note it will pass the Really Wantta Be specimen test....

On 2/29/2024 at 8:24 AM, VKurtB said:

....For me, 1964 serves as a line of demarcation for ONE THING ONLY - the year the Beatles came to New York to do the Ed Sullivan show. Well…, two actually. A neat World’s Fair out in Flushing. 

11/22/1963

The nice World's Fair in '64-'65 could very well have been the first one in '39-'40 had you been alive and old enough then.