• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CoinWeek Article: U.S. Gold Depository
1 1

10 posts in this topic

"The National Gold Bullion Depository at Fort Henry Knox," February 26, 2026, by Roger W. Burdette

Everything you had always wanted to know about Fort Knox, its earliest beginnings and history. Packed with facts, figures and a few rarely seen photos.

Don't miss it!

NOTABLY... the author, RWB, provided valuations of the gold spirited away for storage in Troy ounces and, to assist the non-collector in better understanding the size of the cache stored in various vaults, he helpfully provided readers with the weight as expressed in avoirdupois pounds and tonnage. A photo accompanies the text which would not have been released years ago: a crystal clear overhead view of the government facitity, the perimeter fence, the entrance and exterior roads including a nearby interstate interchange. All this information was painstakingly pieced together in a single, coherent narrative, and the sources consulted duly noted in a long list of footnotes at the end of the text.  A truly easy-to-read account which is both informative and a joy to read.  Great research, Roger!

Will read it tomorrow.

Spent 20 minutes to copy, delete advertisements, and reformat to zero margins.

Now it's presentable.  Looks like a good read.

(A good lesson on how to deal with all CoinWeek articles.)

On 2/28/2024 at 7:04 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Will read it tomorrow.

Spent 20 minutes to copy, delete advertisements, and reformat to zero margins.

Now it's presentable.  Looks like a good read.

(A good lesson on how to deal with all CoinWeek articles.)

There is a small browser macro for Firefox that will drop all that trash before it hits your screen. It's free. I've forgotten the name, but it works on most sites.

[Truth be told, I disabled all cookies (except the Oatmeal ones) and I was left with a periscope.  I didn't break the internet. They broke me.  And if you want to do the most basic tasks, you are directed to settings which informs you in SECOND COMING type that your COOKIES ARE DISABLED!  Big deal. I cleared the cache, too.  So I get lightning quick responses but every site I visit slams its door in my face. They are all anxious "to improve your viewing experience."  No thanks. I couldn't care less but I have to admit that wonderful CoinWeek article was delivered piecemeal eye-dropper style.]   doh!