• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S DDO Lincoln Memorial Cent
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome!

As you have not posted clear cropped obverse and reverse photos of each coin, it is hard to advise you on what to do with these cents. There are not many certified by NGC in either BN, RB, or RD so I would say that certification would be helpful with the selling of them as it would remove any doubts about their status.

You stated you are sure these are the real deal, but you also state you are only 8 months in to the hobby, so without the photos, we would not be able to say if you are looking at some form of strike/mechanical/die erosion doubling versus true hub doubling that is evidenced on genuine 1969 S DDO's which exhibit very strong, crisp, primary and secondary images easily seen with the naked eye. Being you state you have two of these which are very difficult to find, I could only imagine you are seeing some form of strike doubling.

I would request on behalf of the members here that you add photos of your coins to this thread so they can be viewed by the members and you can get better advice on what to do with them.

Also, as you are relatively new to the hobby, I suggest you get yourself a current copy of the Redbook of United States Coins, as well as a copy of a book titled ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition, as well as availing yourself of the online resources available on this page and the PCGS coin page. Please avoid any YouTube hype get rich quick from your pocket change videos, and if on YouTube, only get relevant information from videos made by ANA, ANACS, NGC, PCGS, or the US Treasury, or the US Mint.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

We cannot assess whether or not your 1969-S cents are of the extremely rare FS-101 doubled die obverse variety without clear, cropped photos of each side of each coin, as well as any pertinent closeups.  Suffice it to say that, though not impossible, it would be incredibly unlikely that you have found one, much less two, of these pieces in circulation. Claims of finding such pieces on this and similar forums have invariably turned out to be coins featuring strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling or other forms of "worthless doubling".  See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com) and https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

For photos and a description of the diagnostics of a genuine 1969-S DDO cent, see Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). Tip: If doubling shows on the mintmark of your coins, they are not of the doubled die variety, as the mintmark was punched into the die separately.

Both NGC and PCGS would normally "details" grade and encapsulate a coin that has been scratched. Where did you get different information about PCGS? If it is fairly certain that your coins are actually of the DDO variety, they would likely still be worth thousands of dollars each even if impaired. A major coin dealer or auction house could confirm your discovery and submit the coins to either of these services for authentication and grading. If they are not of the DDO variety, you would be wasting a great deal of money (likely over $100 per coin) on pieces worth only face value.

On 2/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, double ddo said:

I own 2 circulated brown 1969 s ddo pennies with minor scratches that are the real deal. NGC will only do a details grade on scratched coins an PCGS will do what they call a no grade on scratched coins. I'm ready to sell these 2 coins. Do I submit the coins or not. Some direction, advice or suggestions from you, the experts would be appreciated. My name is Donnie an I'm only 8 months in. Still green no doubt. Lol

I'm sorry but this calls for some brutal honesty, there is less than a 1% chance that you as someone 8mos new to the hobby actually found one true 69-S DDO, especially when such a bold claim is made with no photos or documentation of any type.   Those odds are effectively zero when you claim to have found not just one but two of these ultra rarities, please prove me incorrect and post up the photos of your finds.   I have no doubt that what you have is simple worthless strike doubling not any true DDO.

If you want advice here you go, I suggest that you learn the difference between what a true real hub doubled coin is and how it occurs, and the many worthless types of mechanical doubling which is no doubt what you have found.   Knowledge like that will get you taken seriously, because right now nobody is taking your claim seriously.

Edited by Coinbuf

I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Post photos of both, front and back, cropped (without empty spaces) and a bevy of knowledgeable and experienced members will be happy to give you an informed diagnosis.

The topic author chose to post photos of the coins as a separate topic, so this thread continues here: