• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange coin
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I'm new to coin collecting....

I have an UNDATED Sacagawea dollar coin I found in a roll.....the back says United States of America on the top of the reverse, and also $1 and on the bottom of the reverse it says "Great Law of Peace"  with 5 arrows and a ribbon wrapped around the arrows...

What do I have....a counterfeit?

Hello and welcome.  The coin you are referring to is the 2010 Native American (Sacagawea) Dollar coin.  The Date, Mint Mark, and "E Pluribus Unum" are on the edge of the coin.  It is unlikely to be counterfeit.  It is always necessary to provide clear and cropped  images of the front and back of a coin when requesting information.  It helps members better identify the coin in question.  As you are new to the world of coins, it would serve you well to read the first two posts in the NGC "Newbie Coin Collecting questions."  There is a wealth of information that will educate you on the basics of the hobby. 

image.png.673fa94f1652604885058b786eb7c8b2.png

image.png.32e583d4363b448ae5875924e7dcb80b.png

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

As stated by @cobymordet, the dates and mintmarks of "Native American" dollars issued beginning in 2009 are on the coin's edge. (Occasionally, the edge is blank.) These coins continue the obverse design of the 2000-2008 Sacagawea dollar on the obverse but have a different reverse design each year. Coins dated 2009-2011 were made in some quantity for circulation; the 2010 "Great Law of Peace" issue had mintages of 32,060,000 in Philadelphia ("P" mintmark) and 48,720,000 in Denver ("D" mintmark).   The mint has only sold circulation quality coins dated 2012 to date to collectors in rolls and bags, and they are included in annual uncirculated coin ("mint") sets. 

You can obtain information like this and should be able to identify all U.S. coins from a current (2024, 2025 edition expected in April) or recent edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly known as the "Redbook", available from its publisher at whitman.com. You can find other important print and online resources from which you should benefit as a new collector in the "Basic Resources and Glossary" topic linked above and in the following topic: