• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 D Jefferson nickel question
1 1

11 posts in this topic

What makes you think it could/would be?   I see a coin that looks and presents as a standard silver war issue coin.

Your coin is a 1945-D wartime composition five cent piece, not a 1943-D.  Per the "Redbook", these coins, dated 1942-45 with large mintmarks above the dome of Monticello, were composed of an alloy of 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese instead of the normal copper nickel (75% copper 25% nickel) alloy. Both the copper nickel and wartime composition coins have a standard weight of 5 grams.  These coins are bright when in uncirculated but rapidly stain and darken in circulation or from improper handling. Your coin has a normal appearance for an About Uncirculated or so coin, with stains from people's fingers.

Where did you hear about a "war nickel" on a copper planchet? It is possible that a few such pieces were struck on bronze cent planchets (3.11 grams), but such coins would be undersized due to the smaller size of the planchet and would be copper colored ("red" and/or brown). It is also possible that such a coin could have been struck on a copper alloy planchet intended for a foreign coin then being struck by the U.S. Mint, but it would also be copper colored and likely of a different size.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:30 PM, Emmure said:

Was this by chance be the war nickel on a copper planchet I've read about

Sure, that's a war nickel with 56% copper in the Cu-Ag-Mn planchet.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

Sure, that's a war nickel with 56% copper in the Cu-Ag-Mn planchet.

Well, standard alloy "composition," not copper "planchet," per post preceding yours.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:43 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Well, standard alloy "composition," not copper "planchet," per post preceding yours.

Just a little humor.  I am aware of the coin compositions, and there are no period copper coins, only brass or bronze which is a high percent of copper but still not just copper. 

I am not really sure what the op means by a "war nickel on a copper planchet".  So maybe @Emmure can fill us in on what coin or error they are looking for.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:01 PM, J P M said:

Perhaps he meant to say Silver and instead said Copper.

I did note no mention was made of silver, a notable feature of those wartime nickels.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:01 PM, J P M said:

Perhaps he meant to say Silver and instead said Copper.

I think they may have meant copper-nickel (75/25), although that really wouldn't be possible since that hadn't been used since 1942 and then wouldn't be used again until the following year in 1946.