• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual letter by Director to his Clerk leaving office

6 posts in this topic

My impression of the letter is also of one that seems unusually effusive - especially for official correspondence. The original is not marked "Personal" or "Confidential" as was the custom in government.

Dunning wanted to take his family back to his home state of Maine, but Patterson convinced him to stay at the Philadelphia Mint until he could find a suitable replacement as Chief Clerk. (At this time there were 4 mints to run, and the 3 new ones were "wobbly" requiring more of Patterson's time. The Chief Clerk/Director's Clerk ran the Philadelphia Mint and kept the various mint treasurers in check.)

Dunning eventually was running the NY Assay Office, but had charges made against him. He played a major role in defining what was latter referred to as Dana Bickford's international coinage ideas. (See Fads, Fakes and Foibles for the full story.)

Pardon my impertinence, but enquiring minds would like to know precisely what it was that was gifted as alluded to in the letter.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Pardon my impertinence, but enquiring minds would like to know precisely what it was that was gifted as alluded to in the letter.

Nothing was "gifted" to anyone.

The letter does not say what the gift was, however. Possibly cash in one form or another.