• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 chon 1902. I found it in my passed away Russian grandma drawer. Is it leggit? How much is it worth?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

It’s a counterfeit. No numismatic value.

Just compare the photo with a genuine coin, it’s not even close.

Edited by Greenstang

I agree it doesn't match a legit 1902 5 Chon coin.

It's year "6" of 11 for "Gwang Mu" period of 1897 to 1907, so it can be listed as a 1902 6 5 Chon.

1902 5 Chon.jpg

I see you posted in a duplicate topic with a change in wording ...

... what version of 5 chon is this coin

This is not any "version" of the 5 Chon coin.  It appears to be an unauthorized copy or counterfeit which has no monetary value.  You should compare the coin in-hand with the legit examples posted if you don't see this.  It's only value would likely just be sentimental since it was your grandmother's, counterfeit or not.

1902 5 Chon Compare.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/19/2024 at 10:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

I see you posted in a duplicate topic with a change in wording ...

This is not any "version" of the 5 Chon coin.  It appears to be an unauthorized copy or counterfeit which has no monetary value.  You should compare the coin in-hand with the legit examples posted it you don't see this.  It's only value would be sentimental since it was your grandmother's, counterfeit or not.

I am not selling it here , am just checking who might help me to identify this coin and its detail. I researched there 3 types of 5 choin Russ Korean. I am trying to identify which one is it and to know its value. Am sure there was no counterfit since 50 or 60 years ago. My grandma age should be 106 by now if she didnt passout. So have a good one my friend.

Am sure there was no counterfeit since 50 or 60 years ago.

There have been counterfeits since the beginning of coinage. Age has nothing to do with it.   
Yours is definitely one of them. There is no identity or detail to identify.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:16 PM, Johny6356 said:

... am just checking who might help me to identify this coin and its detail. I researched there 3 types of 5 choin Russ Korean. I am trying to identify which one is it and to know its value.

Greenstang is correct that counterfeits have been around almost as long as coins have been struck, and definitely were around when the originals of that coin were being struck.  Also it could be a more modern copy as valuable coins are targets of counterfeiters.

We have helped as much as possible, and that coin is very likely a counterfeit of a 1902 5 Chon coin.  The other types of 5 Chon coins are shown on Numista at the following link, of which that coin is not even close to being a match and would be for different years.

Numista - 5 Chon Coins

On 2/19/2024 at 1:26 PM, Johny6356 said:

Any clue how to send it to NGK experts so that they can identify it. 

It has been identified as likely being a counterfeit, and you should be able to see that for yourself.  If you don't believe us or your own eyes feel free to submit the coin to NGC (not NGK) for authentication, which would likely cost you around $125 including a membership just to verify what you should be able to see ... https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

Edited by EagleRJO

It appears that genuine pieces of this issue are rare, which would have given counterfeiters an incentive to create fakes of them for many decades. See Korea 5 Chon KM 1122 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). It may also be a counterfeit of contemporary origin intended to be passed as money. Your piece bears only a passing resemblance to the photos of genuine examples on either Numista or the NGC World Coin Price Guide. It also appears to be composed of a reddish copper alloy instead of copper nickel. 

Before you spend and likely waste a substantial amount of money submitting this coin to NGC, you may wish to locate a dealer who is familiar with these coins and could give you at least an informal opinion as to its authenticity. You can check the dealer locator on the NGC website, Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com), as well as on the Professional Numismatists' Guild website, https://www.pngdealers.org/af_memberdirectory.asp.  You may also have the coin weighed on a properly calibrated digital scale to determine whether its weight equals or is close to the 4.3 grams of a genuine coin.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:29 PM, Sandon said:

It appears that genuine pieces of this issue are rare, which would have given counterfeiters an incentive to create fakes of them for many decades. See Korea 5 Chon KM 1122 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). It may also be a counterfeit of contemporary origin intended to be passed as money. Your piece bears only a passing resemblance to the photos of genuine examples on either Numista or the NGC World Coin Price Guide. It also appears to be composed of a reddish copper alloy instead of copper nickel. 

Before you spend and likely waste a substantial amount of money submitting this coin to NGC, you may wish to locate a dealer who is familiar with these coins and could give you at least an informal opinion as to its authenticity. You can check the dealer locator on the NGC website, Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com), as well as on the Professional Numismatists' Guild website, https://www.pngdealers.org/af_memberdirectory.asp.  You may also have the coin weighed on a properly calibrated digital scale to determine whether its weight equals or is close to the 4.3 grams of a genuine coin.

Thank you for this valuable info , there is a dealer nearby . I will pass by to check it with . I will update you