• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading value
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm very rude to coin collecting but it is overtaken my life LOL I have a question so I recently bought on 1892 S silver Morgan it is rated at a VG 10 now the details State cleaned edge in rims damaged scratched can I still go buy my value guide and look up bg-10 to determine the price or has the cleaning and edge damage devalued it

17082125312788632268635708554214.jpg

17082125455171827695970504393462.jpg

On 2/17/2024 at 5:29 PM, Emmure said:

I'm very rude to coin collecting

Darn autocorrect! xD

When it comes to details coins, you can refer to the price guides for the value on what an unimpaired specimen is valued at (in this case a coin at VG 10) to obtain a "base" price. The details price would/should be at an appropriate discount of that base price depending on what the impairment is. The more impairments, the lower the value continues to go. Basically, impaired coins with details grades generally lose 1/3 of the value of an unimpaired specimen. A coin such as this with multiple impairments could lose as much as 2/3 of the value of one unimpaired.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:38 PM, powermad5000 said:

Darn autocorrect! xD

When it comes to details coins, you can refer to the price guides for the value on what an unimpaired specimen is valued at (in this case a coin at VG 10) to obtain a "base" price. The details price would/should be at an appropriate discount of that base price depending on what the impairment is. The more impairments, the lower the value continues to go. Basically, impaired coins with details grades generally lose 1/3 of the value of an unimpaired specimen. A coin such as this with multiple impairments could lose as much as 2/3 of the value of one unimpaired.

So this coin would be worth about what? $50 ?? $100? 

@edhalbrook--The 1892-S can only be considered scarce in AU condition and rare in uncirculated grades, although it commands a significant premium in grades of Very Fine or higher.  It is not at all difficult to find in low grades like this. NGC and PCGS don't give numerical grades to impaired coins, so it would be graded no better than Very Good details.  It is clearly "cleaned" and damaged and looks barely Very Good to me. It might only be graded "Good details" at NGC or PCGS. I would estimate the retail value at no more than $35.

Edited by Sandon

I agree with @Sandon when it comes to this coin @Halbrook Family. If you look up this coin in the price guide, its value drops off precipitously from AU 50 down to just XF. It is a $1,000 difference right there between those two grades. In the NGC price guide for an unimpaired VG is listed at only $75. With the numerous impairments to this coin, I would think a dealer would only offer about $30.

I can see those who weighed in, clearly knowledgeable in their own right, assiduously avoiding mention of the loaded term m-e-l-t, as in marginally more than silver melt.  🤔