• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Canadian Dollar Large Dot Blunt 5
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I acquired a decent size collection of foreign coins recently. There are 1973 Turkish coins that seem to be nearly uncirculated.   There are 1969 U.S.S.R. coins that seem to be without a scratch and many others as well. 

But this 1965 Canadian Dollar coin from what I have read seems to be a rare one. But I was hoping for a little insight from some more knowledgeable people.   I am relatively new in the foreign coin area.  20240128_230751.thumb.jpg.fe854a10a1f917d822e40b9965ec2517.jpg20240128_230736.thumb.jpg.18cf7eed2019d3c29970d40d0d823cc0.jpg20240128_230720.thumb.jpg.0bcd62c83dabbe2d055547dacd2b80b0.jpg

Don’t know where you read that but there were 5 varieties of the 1965 silver dollar, none of which are rare.
The first 4 of which yours is part of all have the same approximate value, especially if circulated.
Variety 5 which is the only variety with Medium Beads is worth a little more as it is harder to find.  
I have all five varieties in my silver dollar collection, non of which cost me more than $35.00 in MS condition.   
It is the 1966 Small Bead that is rare and is worth 4 figures in MS shape.

Edited by Greenstang
Add copy

Ever walk out of a movie, totally dissatisfied, feeling like you want your money back?  That's the way I feel here.  Let me explain. 

Take another look at that topic. What where and when did you read that the 1965 Canadian dollar is rare -- with no attribution or explanation?  Name your source!

I.must take @Greenstang to task as well.  Okay,  You volunteer you have 5 varieties of the coin.  I take it the beads you refer to is what the OP calls dots. Would not it have been helpful to post photos of the coins that illustrate the difference between the sizes of the beads?  At least the OP would have your beads to compare with, wrong date notwithstanding.  Finally, neither you nor the OP make reference to the "Blunt 5." Is there such an animal, or not?  Or it that a feature of yet another variety neither you nor the OP have?

I want my money back!  🤣

So sorry about that Henri, didn’t know you were so interested in Canadian coins but I was
just answering the OP’s question with no additional information which was not requested.  
Of course you will get a refund of your money, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
I don’t normally volunteer too much additional info. I was once told by an OP after giving    
info that was not asked that he didn’t ask for more info, he just wanted his question answered.

There are 3 different sizes of beads and a blunt and pointed 5 with different combinations   
making up the 5 varieties. I am away from my computer right now but when I get home   
( after the Super Bowl), I will certainly post photos so you will be able to tell the different
varieties yourself. 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:15 AM, Greenstang said:

So sorry about that Henri, didn’t know you were so interested in Canadian coins but I was
just answering the OP’s question with no additional information which was not requested.  
Of course you will get a refund of your money, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
I don’t normally volunteer too much additional info. I was once told by an OP after giving    
info that was not asked that he didn’t ask for more info, he just wanted his question answered.

There are 3 different sizes of beads and a blunt and pointed 5 with different combinations   
making up the 5 varieties. I am away from my computer right now but when I get home   
( after the Super Bowl), I will certainly post photos so you will be able to tell the different
varieties yourself. 

...tread at ur own risk....

On 2/11/2024 at 11:15 AM, Greenstang said:

varieties yourself. 

My faith in humanity is restored.  Thank you, Greenstang!  Lost to the dustbin of history was a testy exchange between me, Oldhoop and an OP who had asked the latter an inocuous question.  I replied instinctively, and as was his commanding style, Oldhoop quickly rebuked me, in substance, "the question was directed at me, not you!"  Ah well. I have to give him this: he never resorted to insulting or demeaning language.  He exuded complete confidence.