• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do, numismatically speaking" if you were to win a mega-millions lottery?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Numismatically?  Let's see...  I would upgrade my #1-ranked French 20-franc gold rooster collection, presently complete elsewhere, and make it, hands- down, both the current and all-time finest possible set with the highest possible set rating.  I would duplicate the effort here and since I don't like to be kept waiting, I would send a small army of expeditors out armed with hard cash to make offers to present collectors of the coins needed they simply cannot refuse. Needless to say, FMVs across the board will be skewed in ways heretofore never deemed possible if I were to entertain entreaties or inquiries from fellow collectors.  I have thirteen members in mind.

How about you? What would you do?

Edited by Henri Charriere

Well, it would depend on how much I had won. xD

A few million would lead me to spending a few hundred thousand on coins.  But winning $20 to $30 MM  would mean alot more.  The key is I presume it would be a lump-sum payment and also what I took home AFTER taxes.  Right now, winning a $20 MM lottery payable over 20 years would mean a total payout upfront after taxes of about ~$8 MM.

As for coins:  I would add a bunch of top-notch Saints including an MCMVII High Relief MS-67 or higher (thumbsu....a few other Saints, maybe even including that Norweb 1908-S if it came up for sale and was priced right.... a very nice Liberty Head DE Carson City....some gold coin commemoratives I like, some much larger than 1 ounce...some MS-67 and higher Morgans....and a few other coins that grab my fancy at FUN or other big shows.

I'd also want some large denomination bills (thumbsu....maybe as Gold Certificates.  Again, how high would depend on how big the lump-sump was.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/8/2024 at 5:10 AM, Rob’s Coins said:

Take a stab at owning the east India crown coin…. Looks neat.

https://crowncoin.theeastindiacompany.com

The specifications on this are incredible!   The detailing so intricate they cannot be fully appreciated with a once-over.  I wasn't aware this even existed. The closest thing I have come across was a quality brochure examining in detail the inner workings of a Patek Philippe chronograph watch. I used it to illustrate to my fiancee's mother the perfection I saw in her daughter.  This is a truly unique one-of-kind-piece made possible with the cooperation of many people in many countries. Thanks for sharing.   ^^

On 2/8/2024 at 10:44 AM, olympicsos said:

If I won millions upon millions, I'd spend my money lobbying Congress to open the door for more modern versions of classic designs.

Silver or gold ?  Silver is more affordable; the 2009 UHR Saint-Gaudens didn't sell out as I recall.  Much steeper price for a 1-ounce gold coin means you can't have one every year.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/8/2024 at 10:44 AM, olympicsos said:

If I won millions upon millions, I'd spend my money lobbying Congress to open the door for more modern versions of classic designs....

This should have been a no-brainer.  But I don't feel a cent should be spent lobbying Congress. You would need a broad constituency backing you.  Right now Congress can't even agree on what to have for lunch.  I wouldn't waste my time on high ticket items.  The future of the hobby depends on the young and they don't have the money.  If anything, I would have re-introduced classic coins for the common people... Flying Eagle or Indian Head cents, etc.  But that high-falutin bliu-ribbon committee they appointed to study the issue, didn't see it that way. One more thing which definitely won't go over well on this Forum is something other countries routinely do on anniversaries:  right-sizing the prison populations by freeing select categories of people by declaring a general amnesty. In the absence of parole and an antiquated Executive clemency system, it's well past time to get rid of the dead wood. Maybe give each deserving releasee a classic coin for good luck. Anybody want to hear my views on the border?  I didn't think so.  To re-cap: forget the pricey stuff.  Introduce the young boy and girl to the classic coin designs we all enjoyed in our youth. (thumbsu

On 2/8/2024 at 11:44 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Silver or gold ?  Silver is more affordable; the 2009 UHR Saint-Gaudens didn't sell out as I recall.  Much steeper price for a 1-ounce gold coin means y ou can't have one every year.

Both. The 2009 UHR was minted to demand, there was no mintage limit. You can also have congress push through a program which would allow for a modern day large cent program. Large cents capture collector imagination just like silver dollars do and we have modern silver dollars. 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:54 AM, Henri Charriere said:

This should have been a no-brainer.  But I don't feel a cent should be spent lobbying Congress. You would need a broad constituency backing you.  Right now Congress can't even agree on what to have for lunch.  I wouldn't waste my time on high ticket items.  The future of the hobby depends on the young and they don't have the money.  If anything, I would have re-introduced classic coins for the common people... Flying Eagle or Indian Head cents, etc.  But that high-falutin bliu-ribbon committee they appointed to study the issue, didn't see it that way. One more thing which definitely won't go over well on this Forum is something other countries routinely do on anniversaries:  right-sizing the prison populations by freeing select categories of people by declaring a general amnesty. In the absence of parole and an antiquated Executive clemency system, it's well past time to get rid of the dead wood. Maybe give each deserving releasee a classic coin for good luck. Anybody want to hear my views on the border?  I didn't think so.  To re-cap: forget the pricey stuff.  Introduce the young boy and girl to the classic coin designs we all enjoyed in our youth. (thumbsu

Most coin legislation that passes congress these days passes congress on unanimous consent. Yes congress frequently disagrees on big stuff that gets them attention, but stuff like coinage is on the bottom of their priority lists. All it takes is a couple people with money to fundamentally reshape coinage, especially coinage that doesn't circulate. 

Edited by olympicsos

On 2/14/2024 at 7:43 AM, olympicsos said:

.... All it takes is a couple people with money to fundamentally reshape coinage, especially coinage that doesn't circulate. 

On reflection,  I am inclined to agree.  Truth be told, when I first heard about the centennial Morgan and Peace dollars, I signed the petition -- but never expected it would go over well with the legislative branch which always seems to have more pressing matters on its plate. And you say, "especially coinage that doesn't circulate."  Interesting.

On 2/14/2024 at 7:40 AM, olympicsos said:

Both. The 2009 UHR was minted to demand, there was no mintage limit. You can also have congress push through a program which would allow for a modern day large cent program. Large cents capture collector imagination just like silver dollars do and we have modern silver dollars. 

What makes you think "large cents" would be a big winner ?  Not doubting you, just not my area of expertise.

You think similar to the State Quarter program....big coins...cheap...easy for kids to collect ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/14/2024 at 9:28 AM, BillJones said:

I would buy an 1802 half dime, a 1794 Dollar, a $50 gold slug, a 1907 rolled edge $10 gold and if it came on the market, the King of Siam Proof set. 

Outside of the 1794 Dollar being the first silver dollar minted, I don't know too much about the others so anybody can feel free to provide more info on what makes them special.  

I take it a $50 gold "slug" is a privately minted $50 gold piece minted by California private minters during the Gold Rush ?

On 2/14/2024 at 7:43 AM, olympicsos said:

All it takes is a couple people with money to fundamentally reshape coinage, especially coinage that doesn't circulate. 

That's what happened in 1989-90 when a few hundred million dollars (or even less !  or more....xD) was believed to be hitting the market.  If you assume the initial $50 MM that was raised included about $5-$10 MM for certified Saints...you're talking about a few thousand coins being scooped up which moved the market for Saint-Gaudens DEs 100% in a few months for top-quality MS-65's and 66's.

Imagine if Taylor Swift announced she was into coins and told her followers it's fun and (God Forbid) they can make money too.  Or a social media or software or tech or AI billionaire. :o

Bob Simpson was an oilman, a demographic more likely to be into hard PMs and coins.  But there's no law that says others can't follow.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/14/2024 at 12:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Would anybody here be adding a top-notch pricey Saint or Liberty DE...or a Morgan SD ?

How could we without your explicit knowledge and consent?  :roflmao:

On 2/14/2024 at 5:15 PM, VKurtB said:

Trust me, only you. 

Good....the more for me !!!   I'm like a villain in the old 1960's "Batman" TV series.....I eliminate Penguin, the Joker, Catwoman, and the Riddler.....more Saints for me !!!  xD

On 2/14/2024 at 11:57 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

.... Imagine if Taylor Swift announced she was into coins and told her followers it's fun and (God Forbid) they can make money too.  Or a social media or software or tech or AI billionaire. :o

Interesting thought.  Makes me wonder, when was the last time a recognized celebrity promoted a coin or coin collecting, in general?  Then again, that could be a double-edged sword with a lot of people jumping into the hobby resulting in a robust hobby, but higher prices. Ah, well.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:44 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Interesting thought.  Makes me wonder, when was the last time a recognized celebrity promoted a coin or coin collecting, in general?  Then again, that could be a double-edged sword with a lot of people jumping into the hobby resulting in a robust hobby, but higher prices. Ah, well.

These "influencers" get tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions to follow them.  We saw it with baseball cards...NFTs.....meme stocks like GME....now you see it with NVDA. :o

We're gonna see something happen in our sector somewhere down the line.....someone is going to extrapolate a silver or gold move to the move in MSDs or Saints during a previous bubble and say that prices can rise 5-10x based on a doubling or tripling of the underlying metal price.

If it happens, someone here ring the bell to SELL......xD

On 2/22/2024 at 7:44 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Interesting thought.  Makes me wonder, when was the last time a recognized celebrity promoted a coin or coin collecting, in general?  

RWB and others here said that the actual coins owned by celebrity coin collectors like Buddy Epsen and Adolphe Menjou were much smaller than what was sold under their auction name.  In other words, their names were used to sell other coins they didn't really own.  The power of celebrity.  :)

Question:  how much is a common year MS-65 MSD or Saint worth ?  Now....how much is that same coin worth if it was part of a "collection" owned by Taylor Swift ? xD  :o

Edited by GoldFinger1969

My area of interest would stay the same but the grades would dramatically improve and I would add gold to my 20th Century Type Set. 

I would consider becoming a Coin Dealer. Shows only, no brick and mortar. The focus would be on meeting and talking to collectors rather than profit.

Edited by Teddy R

On 2/24/2024 at 3:58 AM, Teddy R said:

My area of interest would stay the same but the grades would dramatically improve and I would add gold to my 20th Century Type Set. 

I would consider becoming a Coin Dealer. Shows only, no brick and mortar. The focus would be on meeting and talking to collectors rather than profit.

I can see the value in that, Teddy.  Do what you CAN do and enjoy it rather than the drudgery of work.

All kinds of shows...small ones, big national ones ?

On 2/25/2024 at 10:16 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I can see the value in that, Teddy.  Do what you CAN do and enjoy it rather than the drudgery of work.

All kinds of shows...small ones, big national ones ?

It would be all about enjoying the hobby rather than making a living. Don't get me wrong, I would still want to be in the black but zero pressure for a lifestyle supporting bottom line would be great.

Edited by Teddy R

On 2/14/2024 at 11:07 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Would anybody here be adding a top-notch pricey Saint or Liberty DE...or a Morgan SD ?

I would. Depending on how much I won. I would want to have one Top Pop (not necessarily the most expensive) in each different series (including a Gobrecht and some colonial issues). After that, I would want to complete my Trade Dollar set all in MS 65 or better, and then finish my Morgan set complete with all the VAM's. If I won a ridiculous amount, I would want to start my own coin club where we would meet at least once a year and we would trade or buy at FMV, and attend all coin shows that happen every year at their respective locations to meet with and discuss topics with many people.