• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 Lincoln 1cent Bubble errors, or as coined by your staff "The Lincky Pox Penny"
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I saw an article date Sept 8, 2023 regarding the 1988 Bubble Penny named  the "Lincky Pox Penny" by your staff submitted by Mr. JahShuWah inquiring about the errors on Obv and Rev sides of the penny, the letter "D" mint stamp was odd and the columns seemed to be melted. He was told back then that  the errors could be man made or a quality control issue that occurred during minting from 82 until 90's and those penny where only worth face value, the individual who told him was partially correct. While true a majority where face value, a few  were missed that are truly rare and the one he provide for grading was one of only a handful with almost identical errors that made it out into circulation. When I saw your article and the penny my jaw dropped because I found a similar penny back in 1999 but couldn't find any reference regarding it not untill I saw your article yesterday. This isn't a human error but a minting error and should be corrected. After all this is "What Coin Collecting is all about finding that one in a Million even the experts missed it. The 1988  "Lincky Pox Penny"  A Diamond in the Rut. Please correct this error and bring back the excitement of Coin Collecting for a new generation. 

Respectfully, an old coin enthusiast

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240112-224842.png

• Administrator

Hello @The old expert

Thank you for reaching out to us. The post you are referring to is an NGC Chat Boards post under the Newbie Coin Collecting Questions category and is not an NGC Coins article. This Chat Board is a place where collectors can discuss Numismatics topics and help others, especially new collectors. NGC staff and graders do not evaluate or identify coins via photos on the chat boards.  

Please feel free to join these discussions with your fellow coin enthusiasts should you have information to contribute to the topics. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

@The old expert--Welcome to the NGC chat board. As indicated by @NickiO CS, your topic would best be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, with cropped photos of both sides of the coin, where it will get more attention from other forum members.

From your uncropped obverse photo, it appears that your circulated 1988 Lincoln cent has plating blisters, which are all too common on copper plated zinc Lincoln cents, especially those from 1982 to the early 1990s. See Plating Blisters (error-ref.com). for a detailed explanation and photos. These blisters are generally regarded by knowledgeable collectors as a quality control issue, not a mint error, and are not attributed by third-party grading services. If you enjoy collecting them, you are welcome to do so, but please do not represent to others that they are rare or have significant market value.  It doesn't "bring back the excitement of Coin Collecting for a new generation" when members of that generation are induced by sellers on certain websites to part with their hard-earned money to purchase such coins at a premium, only to find that they are unsaleable in the mainstream numismatic marketplace.

@808maka--Welcome to you as well.  Your inquiry should have been posted as a separate topic, also on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, with cropped, clear photos of both sides of your coin. From what I can see, what you have is a normal 1977-D Roosevelt dime, one of 376,607,228 reported minted, which in its circulated condition is worth its face value of ten cents.