• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 silver half dollar without mint mark
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi, i was hoping someone far more knowledgeable than i could perhaps quickly answer a question or two regarding the 1971 half dollar.

I am aware that some 40% silver 1971D half dollars exist due to a planchet mishap.

I have a 1971 half dollar with no mint mark that makes the telltale silver "ring".  Photos are attached.

I believe i read that there were a few 1971 no-mint-mark (Philadelphia,  correct?) that were plated.  

Is that what i.possibly have? 

This coin rings.like a silver dime does and the weight is different than other silver dollars , though i don't recall the weights...

Is there an easy way to tell at home before i waste time having it looked at? 

And do silver 1971 not-D half dollars exist ? What percentage are they if so? Plated? 

Thanks for taking the time to look! 

2024-2-3 18-14-28.jpg

2024-2-3 18-37-27.jpg

2024-2-3 18-15-2.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I cannot tell from your photos which are not cropped and showing too much of the background on which the coin sits rather than the coin itself. Also here, we have to go by more solid facts based observations than we can accept that it has the "ring" sound of being silver.

From what I can see, I see the copper line on the edge of the coin. From the shade the coin is, being yours is well circulated, I would think the coin if it had any silver would be turning a slate grey with some darker black to it, so I think the coin is a typical clad issue. I see some obvious damage in the area below the neck where there would be a D mintmark, so I am not sure if this coin is actually a D with an obliterated mintmark or a P with just some heavy scratches in that area.

You are correct that a no mintmark would be a Philadelphia mint coin. I believe the few leftover silver planchets were at the Denver mint and not the Philadelphia mint when there was a handful struck in 40% silver. I don't remember hearing about any 1971 (P) Kennedy halves being struck in 40% silver, only Denver.

The weight of a typical clad 1971 Kennedy half should be around 11.34g. If the coin were struck in 40% silver, the weight would be around 11.5g.

To answer your question, the easy way to tell is to look at the side and if you don't see a copper line on the edge, it could be a 40% silver. I plainly see the copper line on the edge of your coin, so with all presented to me as it is here, I have to say your coin is a typical clad issue.