• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 bicentennial quarter
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

First of all, I think you mean to suggest the coin is an S over D, as the coin is clearly a proof struck at the San Francisco mint with the normal, blobby "S" mintmark used at that time being the predominant image. More importantly, the coin does not show any evidence of a "D" underlying the "S", only a small defect in the punch used to enter the mintmark into the die that appears as a small, raised line in the upper loop of the "S". (The "S" punches had been used for many years and had deteriorated, resulting in their finally being replaced in 1979, with the new punch first appearing on 1979-S "type 2" proof coins.) No overmintmark variety is known to exist for bicentennial quarters.

Here for comparison is an NGC VarietyPlus photo of the mintmark on a 1955-D, D over S nickel (FS-501). The "D" is the predominant image, and you can clearly see remnants of the underlying and partly effaced "S" above, to the left of, and within the "D".

image.thumb.png.b183bfa852422969fe0cba885eeee722.png

I think you are getting faked out by using the scope, with that lighting and reflections giving the appearance of something else.  Looking at the second photo does not give the same indications as your first magnified scope picture.  If you just looked at it with a 10x loupe or glass with normal lighting I think it wouldn't look the same.  And as Sandon noted there are no listed OMMs for this 1976 quarter, so discovering a new one while technically possible, isn't very likely.

Please post inquiries about additional coins as separate topics. Please also provide cropped images of the entirety of each side of each coin.

Your 1964-D nickel is definitely not a D over S. It may be a faintly repunched "D" mintmark. It doesn't match either of the varieties listed on NGC VarietyPlus. See Jefferson Five Cents (1938-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). (The first variety, FS-501, has no photos on VarietyPlus, but I checked it against photos in The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties.)  You can compare your coin to the repunched mintmark (RPM) listings on varietyvista.com and doubleddie.com to see if you can find a match.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, Rgerken said:

How about this one D over S on my 64 nickel

1706901490977664241131986127065.jpg

17069015828232223559265449285540.jpg

IMG_1155.jpeg.22bebd5a7e594eb2d9e925f165335f0c.jpeg

Keep learning. You’ll get there. Try to NOT look for particular things, like OMM’s. You’ll talk yourself into all kinds of things.