• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry pickers dream?

3 posts in this topic

wonder if any escaped!

France melts down millions of coins because EU says its stars don’t look right

Oops! Paris mint has to start all over again after design falls foul of European Commission’s very strict requirements.

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-euro-coins-destroyed-brussels-veto-on-new-design/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=alert&utm_campaign=France melts down millions of coins because EU says its stars don't look right

On 1/19/2024 at 4:29 PM, Zebo said:

wonder if any escaped!

I suspect at least few did as samples to the bosses and dignitaries, maybe more if some made it out by other means. The coins were in production for weeks so plenty of opportunity for a few to make it out of the mint while they were backslapping and high fiving over the new coins. I wonder if the coins made it as far as being sent to banks for distribution in anticipation of receiving an ok from the EU?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

I believe that the “normal” French euro coins are struck in Pessac, near Bordeaux, not Paris. The Paris mint makes their commemorative and bullion offerings.