• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just inherited a seemingly well-cared for INDIAN HEAD COIN collection
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Brand new member, here.  Are these worth getting appraised?  1888-1909

My father worked at a bank in the 1960's and started this collection (as well as for other coins) back then.  I remember when I was kid him showing these to me, and now they're mine.  Recently given to me by my mother who'd forgotten about them; I have no doubt there's been any funny business with them since his passing 20+ years ago.  In fact, I don't think they've even been taken out to see the light of day in 40 years!

Are they corroded, uncirculated or ??  I'd rather not handle them outside of their booklet myself and I know better than to try and clean them on my own.  I've also heard horror stories of them coming back looking completely different after being in the care of an appraiser.  What to do??

Not sure if this is even worth my time.  I'm in no hurry to sell, if at all.  Any genuine, helpful advise appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

I would leave them as they are and perhaps display them for enjoyment! Most likely they are common date and not worth extensive premiums.

it is also not recommended to clean them or have them cleaned.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that the "Coin Marketplace" forum is for postings of coins that you would like to sell or purchase at stated prices and otherwise in compliance with the "Coin Marketplace Guidelines" topic posted at the beginning of the forum. Topics asking questions about coins by new collectors or non-collectors receive best attention if posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

The Indian cents in your "Library of Coins" album dating from over 60 years ago are all common dates, and based on your photos all appear to be well worn with some showing damage or areas of corrosion. They are worth at most a few dollars apiece and are definitely not worth the cost of appraising. Indian cents dated from 1866 to 1879 and the 1908-S and 1909-S are the ones that may be worth significant premiums even in lower grades, with the 1877 and 1909-S having the most value. I assume that the 1908 and 1909 dated coin in your album do not have an "S" mintmark on the reverse below the wreath. Other pieces dated1880-1909 might only be worth significant premiums if in higher grades (Extremely Fine or better) with the word "LIBERTY" appearing clear and sharp on the Indian's headband. 

FYI, here are photos of an 1895 Indian cent in Choice Uncirculated condition, with part of its original mint color and worth approximately $200 in this condition:

1895centobv..thumb.jpg.af4bb4eb70c56d620a2a263190c07fe6.jpg

1895centrev..thumb.jpg.550c5e0bffb73a54ff6ba8861ee7ef0a.jpg

Edited by Sandon

If it were me, I would do just what @Simple Collector said, and keep them as they are.  While not of great monetary value, these coins are irreplaceable.  

I was given a worn, black-toned 1922 Peace Dollar (common date) from my grandfather when I was a kid.  I remember the day I got it, and I remember my "Pop" showing it to me.  It is only worth it's silver melt weight.  However,  I would not trade this coin for the best coin collection on the planet.  The memories come back to me every time I look at the coin.  To me it's worth more than money... and the rest of the collecting community would not be bothered with it. That doesn't bother me one bit...

I hope you continue to cherish your album as much as I cherish my Pop's Peace Dollar.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

I will echo the thoughts of the previous posts, you have a wonderful keepsake that hopefully evokes nice memories of your father. 

None of the coins are worth more than a few dollars each, the real value is in the personal connection and memories.   Rather than spending a ton of money on low value coins, share the coins as they are with family and friends.   Hopefully you have or may have a family member that you can pass them on to in the future so that these can become a family heirloom.