• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchased a Nikon D70; Coin Images!

25 posts in this topic

Believe it or not, this is the first digital camera I have ever purchased. In fact, it's only the second camera I have ever purchased. Those old Kodak Brownies last a long time! wink.gif My other camera is a Canon AE1 from 1979. 893whatthe.gif I guess this is a bit of a jump in technology.

For the last eight months I have researched digital cameras and was quite certain a digital SLR was in my future. The price of this camera was not trivial, in my opinion, but my wife kept telling me to get it and so I finally did. In addition to the camera body and standard lens I also picked up a dedicated 60mm lens for macro photography.

Here is my first image taken with the D70, using all auto settings and the 60mm lens. smile.gif

846362-DSC_0001a.jpg

846362-DSC_0001a.jpg.27129172064e6c449b58f789a9985135.jpg

Wow!

Those Nikon SLRs do take some sweet pics.I'm still deciding whether to try to find a normal digital camera with at least 3cm macro or save up for a SLR.Maybe I could just borrow yours. devil.gif

Well since the topic is already on cameras,I won't feel so bad when I hijack it. devil.gif

As some of you know I've been using a scanner for,well,just about forever blush.gif and an old sony camera with macro-nautta(it sure is hard to carry around all these different sized magnifying glasses and loupes just to take a few decent pics frustrated.gif) and I keep telling myself that I need to go out and buy a decent camera.I do have the money but I have really procrastinated on this and I'm always tempted to wait for prices to go down,etc.

I've tried to find one of the little inexpensive machines that Russ uses but I haven't had any luck in finding one.So if you all would be so kind to point me in the right direction as to what camera would be best for taking coin pics (at the lowest price grin.gif)I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm aware of the the Nikon 3500(?) but I'm wanting to have a few other cameras to compare.

Thanks!

-Hayden

PS Chris,your welcome to use any insight from this thread when you go to PURCHASE your new digital camera.Isn't that right Chris?!

stooges.gif

I've read many times that people are quite happy with the Nikon Coopix camera, however, when I was reading about these there seemed to be six or seven versions of them! blush.gif

I was also scanning all of the circulated coins that I would show on the boards.

That's a nice shot. When I first got my D70, it took me quite a while to get the hang of it. How long did you have to work with it to get to the point of getting that shot?

Thank you for the kind words on the shot. I should qualify the answer by telling you that I've taken images with a quality film 35mm SLR for 25 years, so I am somewhat familiar with how images will look before taking the shot. Please note that I am not stating that I am an expert with a camera, I'm just writing that I'm not a true novice, either.

This shot was taken with about 30 seconds prep beforehand. I dropped the slab onto my desktop, unfolded my tripod and screwed it into the base of the camera body, opened up a single Ott lamp, focused and shot. I left the camera on auto and didn't do any post-shot manipulation to the image at all other than cropping away the excess slab.

It was a truly trivial procedure and I think everyone who has these quality cameras should post lots of shots to share with others.

Thanks!

-Hayden

PS Chris,your welcome to use any insight from this thread when you go to PURCHASE your new digital camera.Isn't that right Chris?!

stooges.gif

Just got here..............been gone all afternoon and evening............go ahead, Hayden.................I'm listening!

tonofbricks.gifC tonofbricks.gifH tonofbricks.gifR tonofbricks.gifI tonofbricks.gifS tonofbricks.gif

PS. Ouch!!!!! You really know how to hurt a guy. smile.gif

Tom, I wrote a nice response late last night and then tried to attach a photo. I then got an error message telling me my photo was too large and I should hit the back button to try to attach something smaller. Of course hitting the back button doesn't work and my whole post was eaten my the hungry board software. My file was 149K. Someone needs to explain to NGC that 1K is 1024 bytes, not 1000 bytes.

It was a truly trivial procedure and I think everyone who has these quality cameras should post lots of shots to share with others.

What do you think I've been doing the last six months? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

I looked at the D70 a good bit before I bought my Canon Rebel. While it is certainly a nice camera, I didn't think it was $300-$400 nicer than the Rebel, which was about the price spread back then. I'm cheap and went the lower cost route. Then I spent the difference on a 100mm macro lens. Then my wife decided she needed a $1000 telephoto lens, so I didn't come out all that cheap in the end. frown.gif

That's a great picture for the first shot and with all auto settings. You will be dangerous when you figure that thing out.

I've read many times that people are quite happy with the Nikon Coopix camera, however, when I was reading about these there seemed to be six or seven versions of them! blush.gif

I was also scanning all of the circulated coins that I would show on the boards.

I hated my coolpix 5700. Hated. Despised. Loathed. Detested. Abhored. Abominated. Execrated. And otherwise viewed the thing with malcontent.

smile.gif Hoot

p.s. Great pic Tom!

I hated my coolpix 5700. Hated. Despised. Loathed. Detested. Abhored. Abominated. Execrated. And otherwise viewed the thing with malcontent.

smile.gif Hoot

Still have it, huh?

Chris

Thank you for the kind words on the shot. I should qualify the answer by telling you that I've taken images with a quality film 35mm SLR for 25 years, so I am somewhat familiar with how images will look before taking the shot. Please note that I am not stating that I am an expert with a camera, I'm just writing that I'm not a true novice, either.

This shot was taken with about 30 seconds prep beforehand. I dropped the slab onto my desktop, unfolded my tripod and screwed it into the base of the camera body, opened up a single Ott lamp, focused and shot. I left the camera on auto and didn't do any post-shot manipulation to the image at all other than cropping away the excess slab.

That is EXACTLY my setup as well! Very cool that it works for someone else too. I love the Ott lamps. I have two to light from two directions. I use a Nikon Coolpix 2100. It is out of production now, but it has a great macro capability and the shots come out clear every time. I'll post some shots when I am at home. I don't have any shots here at work.

Jonathan

smile.gif Hoot

Still have it, huh?

Chris

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Toyo, I already put that quarter up on ebay but I think I made a mistake in the BIN price as it was snapped up at $69 in under thrity minutes! 893whatthe.gif

Of course, you know I didn't do that! devil.gif

Great pic Tom! It's about time you started taking REAL photos. Now if we can only get BigD5 to do the same.... laugh.gif

As to Nikon. I've always Loved, Adorded, Worshipped my CoolPix 950. cloud9.gif

jom

Very impressive first effort, Tom! Just throwing in my two cents, I have finally begun using a digital camera, a Finepix S7000, which has been great for vacation. For coins though, it requires a great deal of work changing the settings for macro, white balance, aperture and the like, and I still haven't been able to produce as nice a pic as Tom's. What is remarkable about his effort is that he produced this photo using the Auto feature, on his first coin shot! My conclusion is that photography is not for skimping, so buy the best equipment you can afford. Guess I'll have to sell a few coins to move up to a a D70!

only one photo?

You know, it's rather ironic as I purposefully limited myself to one photo and one thread on the topic because I didn't want anyone to think I was flooding the boards. I write ironic as just after this decision there was the cluster- 893censored-thumb.gif started by MrEureka over at PCGS and the genesis of that was apparently the flooding of the PCGS boards.

I will put up at least two threads tonight regarding some of these images and I promise to have them sized better. thumbsup2.gif

I'm looking forward to some more of your photos!. Hopefully, one will be your 39-D Merc. grin.gif

Also, that Washington of your is outrageous now that I really see it. Keep in mind this opinion comes from me who not only dislikes Washingtons I really don't like fully toned coins...most of the time anyway. tongue.gif

jom