• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1924 Lincoln penny. Is it valuable
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Nope. A few dollars, but less than the cost of authentication and grading.

While I cannot fully assess your 1924 Lincoln cent from the photos, it appears to have uncirculated details with some mint "red" color, although I cannot be sure whether the color is original or resulted from the application of chemicals. If the color is original, the coin could have a retail value in the $50 to $100 range. If the color is not original, the coin would be considered "cleaned" or "recolored" and is worth very little. 

Unfortunately, the coin also shows spotty fingerprint patterns indicating that someone has handled it with bare hands, which is bad for all coins and especially so for uncirculated copper coins. It may continue to degrade. Its surface should be stabilized by being soaked in acetone (see instructions on other forum topics, as acetone is flammable) or at least rinsed in cold tap water, then patted (not rubbed) dry with a clean cloth or tissue and allowed to air dry far an hour or so. It should then be placed in a proper holder or album. 

On 1/13/2024 at 10:19 AM, Sandon said:

or at least rinsed in cold tap water

I would advise against using tap water, well water or any other water other than purified distilled water. All other forms of water have contaminants such as minerals, dissolved solids, chemicals etc. These contaminants can be left on the coin causing unsightly marks and or toning in the future. Acetone is fine. Rinse with purified distilled water.

Although @Mike Meenderink  may technically be correct, and it would be preferable to use distilled water if not acetone, I have rinsed coins with cold tap water and patted and air dried them before placing them in albums, tubes, or other holders for at least 40 years with good results, while coins I have removed from dealers' holders or circulation and not rinsed have frequently become spotted or discolored.  This may not have been the case if well water or water from some lesser public water systems were used. Many newer or less serious collectors may not have the inclination to obtain these products, and acetone can be dangerous. When you can see that a coin has already been mishandled, it is better to do what I recommended than to do nothing.

I agree from the photos it is difficult to tell if there is any marking or nicks in the fields or on some of the devices. I do see some spots developing of minor environmental damage. From what I can ascertain from the photos provided, and assuming the color is original and not artificial, I would say this would grade in the lower end MS with RB in color. It could be deemed a details coin from the staining on the obverse which will definitely negatively impact its grade. I would say best case scenario, it would be worth $40-80 but with that staining on and spot of environmental damage on the obverse, you might only be able to get $25 for it.