• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 1982 small date penny
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I Have a 1982 small date penny no mint mark that weighs 3.11gram, is there any value to this penny, I have read that it should be 3.1 gram for any valve. (Help) 

• Administrator

Hello @21 Blessed

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry but I cannot provide a value for your coin. NGC does not buy, sell, or appraise the monetary value of coins. We do have an online price guide that may offer some information: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/. These prices are provided by a third party and are based on auction sales data. You may also want to check completed sales for online auction sites like eBay and the posted sales prices of online coin dealers. 

If you are interested in submitting your coin for grading you can find a guide on how-to-submit here: https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Although NGC does not give free advice, other members of the forum may be able to help you.

EDIT: If, as you stated (and I didn't notice originally), your coin has no "D" mintmark, it has no collector value and should not be submitted.

The only 1982 dated cent that is valuable is a 1982-small date composed of brass (95% copper), with a weight of approximately 3.11 grams. If your coin is not a 1982-D small date or if it weighs approximately 2.5 grams (copper plated zinc), it is a variety with a mintage of hundreds of millions or billions of pieces, an example found in circulation would only be worth face value, and you would waste money (likely $100 or more) submitting it to a third-party grading service such as NGC. Frankly, your odds of finding a 1982-D small date "copper" cent are extremely remote, as very few are known to exist.

If your coin has a "D" mintmark below the date, you have verified that it is a small date and weighs at least 2.98 grams (the lowest legal weight for the brass composition) on a properly calibrated, good quality digital scale, you may post clear, cropped photos of each side of it on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum for review by other forum members. 

FYI, here is an "infographic" courtesy of one of our members, @EagleRJO, that should help you verify that your coin is a small date and has a "D" mintmark.

image.png.ac1f9ccf3912e4c449febde662fc0cac.png

Edited by Sandon