• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1919 s wheat cent, weights 2.59 grams
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I found this 1919 s wheat cent, apparently struck in another blank, it is slightly thinner and weights 2.59 grams,  - I  do not think the weight relates to the wear, I am sure most of you have a really wear down wheat penny but the weight does not go that low, instead i believe it related to the thickness on the blank  of the coin . I made some  comparison to others and switch scales to be sure , please see the pictures and comment with your opinion.Thanks

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Sorry, but I highly doubt that your 1919-S Lincoln cent was "struck [o]n another blank".  The coin is heavily worn, with Good or so details. Assuming that your scale is accurate, some of the low weight is likely due to wear. The difference in the condition of the two sides and the weak obverse lettering suggests that the planchet (blank) was cut from thinner than normal stock, which is fairly common and worth little or no premium, especially for a coin this worn.  The coin is of a normal color for a circulated bronze cent and appears to be of the correct diameter.

To support your hypothesis, you would have to identify a blank that could have been present at the San Francisco mint in 1919 that would be composed of a largely copper alloy, would have the same color and approximately the same diameter as a U.S. small cent (19 mm), and would have a weight of approximately 2.6 grams. I note that that mint coined 1919-S Philippines centavos (bronze) and five centavos (copper-nickel), but the one centavo pieces had a diameter of 24 mm and a weight of 4.7 grams, while the 5 centavos had a diameter of 20.5 mm (per the "Redbook") or 21.3 mm (per the NGC World Coin Price Guide), a weight of 5.25 grams, and a distinctly different color. See 2023 Redbook at p.435, Philippines Centavo KM 163 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com)Philippines 5 Centavos KM 164 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).  You should research whatever other coins would have been struck at that mint during that era.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:40 PM, Rob75B11 said:

All I can say is my 1919 s seems thin and weights 3.016 grams.  Couldn’t find my micrometer to measure thickness.

I have now collected and studied U.S. coins for nearly 53 years. I have never owned a scale or a micrometer (caliper), which I acknowledge may be useful for the detection of some counterfeits. You can learn a lot more about U.S. coins by looking at them and reading respected references about them than you can from such instruments. You should be able recognize a mint error or die variety that would attract the attention of a significant number of collectors by looking at it with the unaided eye or at low (5-10x) magnification.   

I will admit I’m probably not the typical coin collector.  My father was a machinist.  Hence the micrometer.  I have had training in studying oil samples in industrial machinery to determine if wear was caused by sliding surfaces due to insufficient viscosities, pitting due to contamination in hydraulic oil, extending the life of machinery.  Hence the microscope.  And who doesn’t have a good scale for accurately measuring bullet weights and powders to fire rifles at 1000 yards.  Buy Hey, to each their own! lol 
I will say though, I’m not a historian, that definitely comes in handy with coins!

On 1/5/2024 at 4:17 PM, Rob75B11 said:

I will admit I’m probably not the typical coin collector.  My father was a machinist.  Hence the micrometer.  I have had training in studying oil samples in industrial machinery to determine if wear was caused by sliding surfaces due to insufficient viscosities, pitting due to contamination in hydraulic oil, extending the life of machinery.  Hence the microscope.  And who doesn’t have a good scale for accurately measuring bullet weights and powders to fire rifles at 1000 yards.  Buy Hey, to each their own! lol 
I will say though, I’m not a historian, that definitely comes in handy with coins!

It is the ultimate multi-discipline hobby, if it is being done right.