• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do with this set of coins?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have a set of 1976 uncirculated silver coins but the 1 doller coin isn't silver and also has a error on it i think . because it is in a set I don't  really know what to do with it20240101_103216.jpg.6b56a13610c3be3241a6df76f284100c.jpg20231231_191712.thumb.jpg.9027a79bd73c2e5c10526b5fb02c543a.jpg20231231_195916.thumb.jpg.4478262772c334fe570429ce074c6228.jpg

Welcome to the Chat Board

This Forum is for registered sets, have requested that it be moved to the Newbie forum

Your dollar is not an error, it has been damaged, looks like reed marks from another coin.  
Also how do you know it is not silver, that is an uncirculated silver clad set.

Edited by Greenstang

Not an error, appears to be damage as greenstang correctly identified.   As to your question the best thing to do is to is enjoy the coins as they are, there is no real significant value to this set other than the silver metal value.   You could send the coins in to a TPG like NGC for grading but that would be a waste of money as it would cost you more to have them graded then they are worth.

Welcome to the NGC chat board and Happy New Year.

As noted, questions like yours are best posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

The U.S. mint sold over 4.9 million of these three piece sets containing silver clad (net 40% silver) versions of the Bicentennial quarter, half dollar, and dollar. Unlike the proof versions, they were not separately handled, and most have milling marks and other abrasions from contact with other coins before they were packaged. Nothing in your photos suggests that the dollar isn't composed of the same silver clad composition as the other coins in the set. This set has a retail value of around $20. You could probably sell it to a dealer for around its current silver value, approximately $13.